Best solvent? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Best solvent?

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-07-2002, 10:39 AM   #1
DaveFL

Best solvent?

Okay Im going crazy here with my jeep.

This sucker is turning more into a nightmare every time I get near it.

Almost every bolt on this sucker is frozen solid with rust. Ive been able to get a lot of them off with a cheater bar and a torch, even cut a few of them off as well.

As I am still breaking bolts down and a lot of places I cant get a good anngle with cheater Im looking for a GOOD real GOOD lubricating Solvent.

How about some suggestions?

DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2002, 12:33 PM   #2
Hooch

PB Blaster is the one you want....
Unread 08-07-2002, 01:12 PM   #3
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

If you can get heat onto the bolt-head .. and have a stick of bees wax .. heat the bolt head and smear bees wax all over it ... the heat will draw the molten wax down the threads and make things just a little easier to break loose ..

Also, using heat with WD40 does wonders ..
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2002, 02:32 PM   #4
DaveFL

Done the heat with WD 40, gonna try the bees wax on the two lower seat belt bolts. AS of now the Torx heads are stripped out of them Ive used heat/WD40/Erusticator and even used a impact driver. Havent moved them a friggin inch.

Only thing I can get around them now is a pipe wrench. Will try the bees wax this weekend see what comes from it. Also I will go out and buy some PB blaster if someone can tell me who might carry it.
Unread 08-07-2002, 04:52 PM   #5
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Seatbelt bolts?!

Those are a pain at the best of times. They are hardened grade 8 (maybe grade 10) bolts .. very difficult to drill out unless you have a good drill, lots of bits and use huge amounts of cutting oil.

When I was planning on doing up my dual-seatbelt setup, I soaked everything, top and bottom daily for a week with WD40, and even then I broke 2 torx drivers ..
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2002, 09:53 PM   #6
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I couldn't find PB Blast anywhere either so I just bought liquid wrench in the spray. I dowsed all the bolts a few days ago. Then I put it on jack stands today, pulled the tires and started soaking it again. I went around it 3 times with the spray. Then I started loosening bolts. Didn't break a single bolt or round a single head. Even the nuts came off the spring U-bolts.

I pulled both axles out today for re-gearing.

The biggest problem I had was pulling the right rear brake drum. The rivits on the shoes have gone into them at lest a 1/4". What a pain. It took me an extra hour to get it off. All in all I was done in 5 hours including clean up. (just pulling the axles and loading in the back of my truck to have the gears installed by a friend)
Unread 08-08-2002, 12:27 PM   #7
Hooch

WD 40 is not a penetrating oil and evaporates way too quickly. Just did a quick search and found this website where you can order PB Blaster on-line at $4 a pop....

http://www.blasterproducts.com/store...m?Product_ID=1
Unread 08-13-2002, 11:18 AM   #8
CaptFDU

DaveFL,
In Florida, you should be able to get PB Blaster at any Discount Auto Parts, Auto Zone, or Pep Boys. I have used the stuff on my project and it has worked great. We only had to grind off 2 bolts on the whole jeep that sat in the Florida weather for 8 years.
31 AT's//Nutter Bypass
TFI upgrade//Sway Bars Removed
8000lbs Winch//SOA in the works
CaptFDU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2002, 01:25 PM   #9
DaveFL

heh thanks I actually found PB blaster at a plumbing supply place up the road. Been soaking the seat belt bolts in it every day giving it a tug or two after work but not been able to budge them yet.

On a side note it worked great on a few other things I removed. Im sold on the PB blaster.
Unread 08-14-2002, 06:25 PM   #10
Boggy Bottom

PB Blaster
WD-40 (yes, it IS a penetrant, albiet not very good one)
Kerosene
Kroil (best imo)
Liquid Wrench
plutonium

All these work pretty good, but my motto is: "If it's too rusted or dinged-up to wrench it off with normal tools, then it's time to drill it out, grind it off, or whatever it takes to replace it."

Think about it... you probably won't reinstall that fastener anyway. JUNK IT!

Peace bros.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.