Best soft top and where to get it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Best soft top and where to get it?

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRoad Race Motorsports Stage 2 Power Pack

Unread 01-05-2014, 12:00 PM   #1
CaptBenjy
1985 CJ7 

Best soft top and where to get it?

Been a while since I've needed to order a new top. Is Bestop still the best manufacturer? I've seen a few others making tops that are cheaper than Bestop so figured I'd ask to be sure I wasn't just buying the name. I don't mind spending the money, just don't want to overspend on what used to be the best.
Also is there a better place to buy from? Morris has the Super Top with tinted windows and no doors for $615 shipped.

I need all the hardware also as my CJ came with only a hardtop.
Thanks.

CaptBenjy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 12:34 PM   #2
locohosa
1984 CJ7 

Read this thread before you buy: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ne...issue-1944297/

Also, make sure you have a good amount of sunshine/warmth. My understanding is that installing this top in 50 degree overcast weather is impossible when new.
1955 M35A2 6x6
locohosa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
CaptBenjy
1985 CJ7 

I did read that actually. Was one of the reasons I asked before spending the money. Anyone care to give feedback on other brands?
Unread 01-05-2014, 03:05 PM   #4
CSP

What other brands?
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 03:36 PM   #5
CaptBenjy
1985 CJ7 

The cheaper ones like Rugged Ridge. They're a few hundred cheaper than Bestop, is the quality that much less also? After reading a couple of recent posts about Bestop I'm wondering if I'd be just buying the name so to speak. If the new bestops are crap why not save a couple hundred bucks and expect crap when it gets here opposed to spending the big bucks on what used to be quality.
Don't get me wrong, I don't mind spending money on my jeep (my wife will assure you). I just would like to get close to what I pay for. A new Supertop for me is $615 while the RuggedRidge is less than $400. I'll buy the best top for the money regardless of price.
Unread 01-05-2014, 05:06 PM   #6
JrTjK
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

Rampage makes a very decent top...has some features that Bestop does not such as the adjustable spreader bars and storage pockets.

Bestop is still probably the best on the market, though. To find the best price, find the part number you're looking to buy, and go to google shopping, and price low to high. Most catalogs will match each other, and some offer free shipping...sometimes you can catch them giving out a rebate, too.
JrTjK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 05:16 PM   #7
Chance85
1985 CJ7 

I just bought a supertop for my jeep. It was about 54 when i installed mine. The PO must have put a soft top on before because it had all the holes needed drilled already so that took alot of time out of installation. We got it on in about a hour and a half and the only thing that was a problem is it pulled the windshield back so the door alignment was messed with but a little working with the frame and they fit pretty snug. It poured here this morning and no leaks which is great. I got it for about 650 and its worth it in my opinion. Ive seen some negative posts about the top and i was a little scared to go with it but i did and im satisfied with it. Going from just a bikini top to covetage im happy. Hope everything goes well with your decision.
Chance85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 05:24 PM   #8
jason400
1985 CJ7 

I purchased a besttop super top with tinted windows and full two piece doors. Had to drill a few holes but have been completely satisfied. The rear window zippers will not close completely, about 2 inches from completely closing but thats ok. I think I spent around $700, sold the hard top for $375 so that offset the cost a bit. Personally I like the look of full hard doors with a soft top.
jason400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 05:49 PM   #9
Chance85
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason400 View Post
I purchased a besttop super top with tinted windows and full two piece doors. Had to drill a few holes but have been completely satisfied. The rear window zippers will not close completely, about 2 inches from completely closing but thats ok. I think I spent around $700, sold the hard top for $375 so that offset the cost a bit. Personally I like the look of full hard doors with a soft top.
Exactly. I like the full hard doors and soft top on. My zippers all went straight to the back. I grabbed a set or needle nose pliars and pushed them shut.
Chance85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 06:16 PM   #10
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

I saw one in the Kmart parking lot today that looked awesome, it had a Quadratec tag sewn into the seam, but I think it was a Best top. Either way, I have looked at a few now and I think that Best Top has the market. I just wished I had bought one back a few months ago when they had 100 dollar refund.

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 07:02 PM   #11
keithcj-7
1978 CJ7 

CaptBenjy I too just bought a supper top from Quadratec complete with all hardware and upper half doors three weeks ago made buy Best Tops. Yes it took a few tries to get it on and adjusted properly (beer breaks) but it fits fantastic & tight! Price was steep $799. Also what is the color of your jeep, if you don't mind.
keithcj-7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 06:06 AM   #12
yahwhy
1982 CJ7 

I got a supertop back in 2010 for my 7, from 4wd hardware, got the lifetime warranty with it, I love it. Been seeing some posts lately about them being to small/ fitment issues.
I would just say, lay it on a heater vent in your home until your ready to put it on.
sdc10165.jpg  
yahwhy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 07:19 AM   #13
chucker2
1981 CJ7 

Buy a cheap electric blanket and put it under it. In fact these are must haves for a soft top jeep.

chucker
chucker2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 07:40 AM   #14
CaptBenjy
1985 CJ7 

Thanks for the posts fellas. This is my fourth jeep, and Bestop was always the best as I remember. With the recent couple of problems on here and with Bestop taking production to Mexico I'm concerned about a drop in quality. Hopefully it was just a few tops that had issues. Probably a young kid just learning how to sew in the factory down there. Guess I'll be ordering the Super Top.
Unread 01-06-2014, 07:42 AM   #15
CaptBenjy
1985 CJ7 

Keith, my jeep is Gray. Why do you ask?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.