Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Best Rear Corner Replacement Panel Manufacturer?

6K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  mopar440cu 
#1 ·
This summer I am replacing body panels on my '79 CJ7. I bought the two rear corners from some place that makes them in the Philippines or something and they do not have a 90* bend.... Bought them because of the 16ga metal use... Any thoughts on who sells good panels with the appropriate bends ect...? They do not have to have the pre-drilled holes either. Thanks in advance for the help! :2thumbsup:

#3 ·
Not saying that they do not have it... But, I have looked on that site numerous times without luck finding CJ7 rear corners... haha. Do you know for a fact they have them? It would make complete sense that they would, but, I got nothing... Thanks for the reply!

#7 ·
Called Classic Enterprise finally and they do NOT have the rear corner panel. I was pretty surprised that they dont, but, oh well. So, what has everyone else used for the rear corner replacement? I have the passenger side completely taken off and time is wasting!! Thanks for any ideas! :2thumbsup:

#10 ·
I am currently replacing a few panels on my jeep and just used 14 gauge sheet metal. Works nicely for large flat sections and if your good with forming you can get the detailed sections done as well. If you do decide to go that route get a good set of body tools so you can make them look sharper. If anything try to find a body without all that rust and cut it up or swap it.

#14 ·
Good to know about the 4WD crown panels. I would make them myself if I had that kind of time and fab skills! Hopefully I will have the skills one day! Looks like I will go for the crown 4WD panels, thanks for all the input. The more the better though, so, keep it coming! Thanks again everyone!

#15 ·
depending on how bad yours are, and how close to stock you want to keep it, you could just trim the rust out and put corner armor on.

#25 ·
This thread is long in the tooth but I thought I would update with the tech response I got direct from Crown for their rear corner replacement panels for my 1980 CJ7. Date: Jan 25, 2018 from Adrian Pesce - Technical Service Representative

"The corner panels you are asking about have a specification of 1mm, making them the industry standard of 20 gauge thickness. (Although 1mm is almost a 19.5 gauge) While the metal is .0125" (or 1/80") thinner, I have not run in to complaints about this piece being too thin or too flimsy. I hope this helps you out a bit."

I have gone ahead and procured them from Morris today and will comment after installation. I was not able to locate any alternative with the proper 18 gauge material

#20 ·
just get the Warrior Smooth steel corner guards.... if i recall someone a while back said they called them direct to have them send them one unpainted. This way you can just weld it right in there....... just a thought......

#22 ·
Are you looking for armor or the actual replacement sheetmetal? Looks like you're getting three sets of answers here.

If you're looking for replacement, those Crown ones for $29.99 each at 4wd are the ones. You need a left side and a right side.
regardless i still think he could make it work w/ the corner guards.... i could be wrong.....if it worked then at least he would now have 12 guage corners...:thumbsup:

#26 ·
Yes that's correct, Crown corner panels, as well as the rest of the sheet metal they sell, is 1mm gauge steel from foreign steel manufactures. That is a standard gauge in the metric world as the next gauge up would be 1.5mm. There body parts are made in Taiwan or China and are considered "crash panels".

I used the Crown corner panels on my Tailgate/Workbench project that now hangs on the garage wall and after spot welding it to a Classic Enterprise tailgate end body support panel, I had to use filler on the Crown panels to fix the waves from heat distortion after spot welding. The Crown stuff bends easy where as the Classic sheet metal has no give at all. Here's a shortcut to some info on the project: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj-7-tailgate-wall-mounted-workbench-3583666/#post33616946

#27 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.