best place to get speakers/speaker box for cj5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > best place to get speakers/speaker box for cj5

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 06-10-2013, 05:24 AM   #1
Stegs
2012 JK Wrangler 

best place to get speakers/speaker box for cj5

looking at getting the centra pod speaker box that mounts between the shifters and the firewall

wondering if anybody else did this, how they like it and the cheapest place they found the box

open to other ideas too on speakers and boxes..

Stegs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 05:27 AM   #2
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

I got it and it sounds awful...
LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 05:38 AM   #3
Stegs
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeePrather View Post
I got it and it sounds awful...
really?....ive read the reviews on them and they were good

like a 4.8 out of 5......

this is not a daily driver jeep, just a cruiser and a dune toy....we dont need a fancy system

we just want to hook it up to a marine grade deck to play cd

right now we have the original radio that gets 1 station
Unread 06-10-2013, 05:39 AM   #4
sgtbookie
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Stegs, do some searching here, i think the thread is "How I made my Jeep more Awesome" or something along those lines. One of our members fabricated up his own speaker pods using some PVC Caps. Looked like a pretty cool install idea. Other than that with the 5s your pretty much left with the Versa Pod type idea.

- 2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara #380 -
sgtbookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 05:57 AM   #5
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stegs

really?....ive read the reviews on them and they were good

like a 4.8 out of 5......

this is not a daily driver jeep, just a cruiser and a dune toy....we dont need a fancy system

we just want to hook it up to a marine grade deck to play cd

right now we have the original radio that gets 1 station
I can't get it anywhere near loud enough. No way I hear it with the top off. I got a pioneer deck, that plastic with stuffing inside just isn't helpful for volume or quality...
LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 05:59 AM   #6
Stegs
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtbookie View Post
Stegs, do some searching here, i think the thread is "How I made my Jeep more Awesome" or something along those lines. One of our members fabricated up his own speaker pods using some PVC Caps. Looked like a pretty cool install idea. Other than that with the 5s your pretty much left with the Versa Pod type idea.
there is "skypods" but i dont like that as much....id rather have them on the floor

i will keep searching, but i think this will be way better than what we have now
Unread 06-10-2013, 06:53 AM   #7
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sp...j-7-a-1521163/ same principal in a 5, and you can mount them where ever you like, I just happen to like the crotch in the roll cage.. also, if you want that really deep sound, go with 8" caps.. put 8" speakers in with a set of tweeters up front somewhere.. and/or put two pods together, large and small, or even three.. heck, you can build a PVC cap condo association..
Unread 06-10-2013, 07:51 AM   #8
ChaseKanter

2 500 watt lanzar wakeboard tower speakers on the rollbar. Wired directly to a sony deck located in the center console. Plenty plenty loud And good quality sound. Doesnt get in the way of anything either..
image-3558453912.jpg   image-881701075.jpg   image-702670792.jpg  
ChaseKanter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #9
Drugcop4
1981 CJ5 

I doubt this is what you are looking for but ... two waterproof storage boxes with marine speakers. The boxes are lockable and I can keep assorted tools and recovery equipment in them. I mounted them to the wheel wells. So far the sound is not bad, but not the best.

Unread 06-10-2013, 09:39 AM   #10
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

I can't get it anywhere near loud enough. No way I hear it with the top off

but everybody within 100 feet of you when you at a red light will think you have. jeep are just not good for stereo, people inside the jeep and the people trying to get to work behind you, not everybody have your taste of music
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #11
steve1973
1973 CJ5 

I glued some 4 x 4 plastic electric boxes together and mounted waterproof Polk plate speakers in them. Sound decent.
jeep-radio-013.jpg  
steve1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #12
Stegs
2012 JK Wrangler 

I think im going to go with that centra pod. If you guys could see what we have going now....you would laugh and tell me that this speaker set up is way better

I dont need loud, i just need something better than what we have
Unread 06-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #13
JustDandee
1983 CJ7 

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-X15.../dp/B00009QORF I was looking for something self contained on my boat- but maybe these would work too.
Random thought....Attach magnets to it and stick then inside on the tub.
JustDandee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #14
robs7
1983 CJ7 

Here is what I ended up doing. I'm pretty partial to my music and wanted a little more kick as well. Fabricated metal bracket for the front with two 5-1/4 speakers fit into poly filled pods. Bought pods for the 6-1/2 rear speakers poly filled them as well and through bolted them with stainless through the wheel well. The pods are pretty good but filling them with poly fill will make them better. I also put a 12" alpine sub in the back for a little extra when the top is down but to each their own! I bought the universal plastic pods online pretty cheap but as you can see, I had to be a little creative. Rob
image-3072466630.jpg   image-1924213143.jpg   image-221534892.jpg   image-1374963974.jpg   image-2398942320.jpg  

image-2683006415.jpg   image-2782781118.jpg  
robs7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #15
Drugcop4
1981 CJ5 

Have you fit your seats to see if there is enough clearance for those speakers. I can tell you that the seats I put in my 5 would in no way allow for those speakers to be mounted. I hope it works for you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.