Best place for dash ground - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Best place for dash ground

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 11-06-2005, 07:52 AM   #1
Bard
1985 CJ7 

Best place for dash ground

Where is the best place for a dash ground? And what gauge wire to use? I swapped harnesses with one that was fully intacted and can not for the life of me figure out why when you put your foot on the clutch about an inch it all power comes to life, lights, fan, etc, come on. Also by adding a seperate ground and I going to be at a higher risk for a meltdown or fire?
It also will not start, cranks over fine, coil is getting 12v, getting gas, all ground wires to battery and motor are new. Still puzzled!!!!

85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2005, 09:42 AM   #2
KGBnumber1

you should have a wire running from the negative terminal on your battery to 1. the frame, 2. the engine block, 3. the body.

your engine is probably not grounded correctly, which is why it will turn over and not start.
your body is probably not grounded correctly, which is why you move the clutch linkage slightly you created a ground connection for the body, turning on all your lights, fan, etc.

[edit]
another ground wire wont increase the risk of something melting down, unless it becomes shorted with a positive somewhere.
[/edit]
Blue Jeep Club member [COLOR=Blue]#100[/COLOR]
1970 DJ-5
3.8 v6
700R4 tranny
countless hours of blood and sweat turning it into a cj-5
KGBnumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2005, 12:15 PM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

And your ground wire should be bigger than the rest of the wires.So for the dash, use a 10 gauge or 8 gaoge wire.
John Strenk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2005, 02:54 PM   #4
Geer_hed

Well if you want to get around that, you can double up the battery negative ground. It should be running to your block now. An additional cable can be run from that point on the block to the firewall to reinforce the body ground. It should atleast ensure your tub is grounded.

I did this and then on the inside of the firewall, I ran another cable from the dash panel at the speedo cluster to the firewall. I wanted to make sure my gauges had a good shot at ground.

Your no-start condition may be unrelated to your ground issue inside. If it will crank, but not start, several other components are involved. You could try to hold the clutch at the point where all the other components power on, but are you getting spark? I would start there and work backwards, or prioritize the no start condition over this suspected ground issue.
Unread 11-06-2005, 06:21 PM   #5
Bard
1985 CJ7 

Re: Best place for dash ground

Ok, we are grounded as everyone sent me feedback. Thanks.

The coil is full of power, a little jolt was just an eye opener. Thanks Dad, yes donations for a hearing aid! Anyways - When cranking it over, the spark plug tester was dim to cylinder #1, then when you let off it glows hot for a second. Still wiring or possible timing? Motor is a 86'.
85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2005, 07:15 PM   #6
Geer_hed

sounds like the pickup coil/EECU/ignition module chatter circuit might be an issue if you get a single hot spark when the key is let off.

To my mind this brings the EECU in to question. I had a no spark condition that would allow a single spark to fire when the key was cycled. I called it the One spark of death, b/c it took me forever to realize what should've been obvious. I had replaced everything (village idiot) except the one thing that was in between the pickup coil and the ignition module -- the eecu. It died and prevented the pickup from talking to the ignition module, effectively killing my spark.

I figured that part out doing a half-@$$ nutter bypass just for diagnostic purposes, and sure enough, I got my fire back. It's just a thought.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.