Best option for a tach - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Best option for a tach

Halloween Savings to die for!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 10-05-2008, 07:35 PM   #1
SpencerC
1978 CJ7 

Best option for a tach

Id really like to have a tach in my 78 cj7, I cant belive it didnt come with one having a 304 and the 3 speed stick. What are some good options? I dont want anything that sticks out too much Im shooting for as stock looking as possible with the least amount of effort.

Unread 10-10-2008, 11:00 AM   #2
Jahar
1977 CJ7 

Actually I would like to know this as well. I have a 77cj7 and am rather bewildered that there is no Tach.
Jahar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2008, 11:22 AM   #3
GasAxe
1983 CJ5 

Base CJ's didn't come with a tach, I don't have one either in my '83 CJ5. They were part of Laredo, Renegade, etc. packages or could be added as a stand alone option.

Quadratec sells stock replacements or you can use pretty much any aftermarket tach. When I get one, I'm leaning toward toward the OEM for the retro look and it doesn't make much sense to me to have an 12k rpm tach for an engine that shouldn't see much more than 4-5k max.
And by the look of his avatar and name... not a hippie.
GasAxe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2008, 11:23 AM   #4
valkadesh
1985 CJ7 

It doesn't look too bad, but you could always put a tach on the steering column behind the wheel, and attach it with a hose clamp. You really don't have too many options unless you want to start cutting holes in your dash.

It works for me and it makes it very readable.
valkadesh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2008, 11:26 AM   #5
starfire340
1983 CJ7 

I am running a Sun II mini. Mounts with a hose clamp, but very unobtrusive. Just a thought...
starfire340 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2008, 12:27 PM   #6
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

When I looked about yr ago..... Advance Auto had a nice Sun Pro II 8000rpm with black case and silver bezel. Very nice and half the price other others I think it was $43 or so. Mounted to the steering column and I have a Stock Tilt Column so room on all the applications. This is full size, 4" black face lighted.

Selectable for diff cylinders, comes with wires, mtd bracket

VERY VERY VERY NICE FOR THE MONEY.

Fred
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
SpencerC
1978 CJ7 

Do either of you with the sunpro tachs have pictures?
Unread 10-10-2008, 04:20 PM   #8
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerC View Post
Do either of you with the sunpro tachs have pictures?
Nope, go to local Advance auto or web site.

Fred
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2008, 04:22 PM   #9
jksull
1985 CJ7 

This my advanced auto 40 something $ tach

Sorry not a good pic but mounted it with a large tie strap made for duct and painted black
jeep-005.jpg  
jksull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2008, 04:43 PM   #10
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I have a SunPro tach I could sell you. I had it mounted to the steering column with a hose clamp. Bought a stock in dash replacement since I am doing a frame off restoration. Sorry I didn't take a head on picture of it before I started the tear down but you can kind of see it from the side in this picture. You can see a stock replacement one with a white face gauge insert in the next picture of my gallery but you would have to cut a hole in the dash for one of those. I can email you a picture of the tach itself if you want. 0-8k rpm SunPro.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2008, 06:13 PM   #11
jksull
1985 CJ7 

Just rembered I have a friend who no longer has a jeep but has a NIB orig in the dash tach he offered to me and am sure he would sell it. If you are intrested let me know and I will get the two of you togather
jksull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2008, 08:35 PM   #12
Bard
1985 CJ7 

I would rather go factory tach on the dash IMO. Just need a holesaw and the wiring should already be there. Done this a couple times for people.
85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2008, 09:52 AM   #13
Pugnacious
1978 CJ5 

Factory Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahar View Post
Actually I would like to know this as well. I have a 77cj7 and am rather bewildered that there is no Tach.
The tach was a factory option on the CJ ... but included with the Golden Eagle package.

Why not install a factory tach in its original location? They should be available from a Jeep salvage yard or purchase new for about $63.00 http://cpwstore.carpartswholesale.co...meter+j5459418 or google search for your favorite supplier.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.