Which is the best lightbar for the money? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Which is the best lightbar for the money?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 07-12-2007, 10:58 PM   #1
White92
1984 CJ7 

Which is the best lightbar for the money?

I'm getting one. I just don't know which one yet. Suggestions welcome.

[COLOR="Blue"]Blue Jeep Club Member #238[/COLOR]
[url]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q120/traviswhite92/DSC07176.jpg[/url]

[B]Hemi Club member #17[/B]
White92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2007, 12:01 AM   #2
Oily
1985 CJ7 

My light bar is sort of a pain. It was on the Jeep so I can not tell you the exact kind. Much like this one. The hard top hits the lights when I remove it. I have to loosen the lights to get clearance. Also, the lights rest on the hood when my windshield is folded forward.
I think I want one of these. Anyone have any experience with these?
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2007, 12:06 AM   #3
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Not much to engineer there to make a 'best' and since the '80's are over, there's only like two on the market...Olympic (and I think they only still make the one that mounts to the windshield hinges) and Carr. Carr offers the option of rotating the main bar in case you need clearance for garages or don't want to get your lights smashed by tree branches on a trail. With the Olympic, you don't have to drill extra mounting holes in your windshield frame.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2007, 12:11 AM   #4
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Ah, I see Olypmic does still have the other bar too...had that on my first rig back in the 80's. You won't find too many folks with them...most have figured out by now that they aren't good for much beyond adding to the already bad aerodynamics, getting whacked by tree branches, hitting garage doors/preventing entry into parking garages, and lighting the heck outta your hood I still kinda dig the 'retro' look though
Unread 07-13-2007, 08:19 PM   #5
White92
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepskate
Ah, I see Olypmic does still have the other bar too...had that on my first rig back in the 80's. You won't find too many folks with them...most have figured out by now that they aren't good for much beyond adding to the already bad aerodynamics, getting whacked by tree branches, hitting garage doors/preventing entry into parking garages, and lighting the heck outta your hood I still kinda dig the 'retro' look though
After some careful thought and the stupid 24 hour wait and thinking about it and praying about it I decided against a light bar. Jeepskate, you had some very good points. Maybe I'll just mount a pair of KC 130W on my windshield.

[COLOR="Blue"]Blue Jeep Club Member #238[/COLOR]
[url]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q120/traviswhite92/DSC07176.jpg[/url]

[B]Hemi Club member #17[/B]
White92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2007, 10:40 PM   #6
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Quote:
..... and since the '80's are over .....
You just had to go and make me get out my old photo albums.
1987, this was my 80 CJ5.
Custom made light bar.
Damn now were going to have to do an old retro photo thread.
I'll scan in a few

Unread 07-13-2007, 11:00 PM   #7
ChiliPepperTJ

Nice bug deflector.

Thats one of the best light bar designs, nice and low instead of some that have about a foot between the top of the windshield and the bottom of the bar.
Kevin
84 CJ-7 Renegade- 258,GM TBI w/ ESC, HEI, T-5, D300, D30, AMC 20 w/ trac loc and superior shafts, 2.5" BDS lift, 1" daystar BL, MORE shackles, Tie rod flip, 33" Swamper SSR's, Full cage, OBA, A to Z rocker guards, A to Z rear cage, Warn 9.5ti, Taurus fan, Herc'd tub, LED tail lights, Hand throttle, Hella Fogs, Hella headlight conversion, more to come...

02 WJ Limited, 4.7 H.O., RB1 Nav, DD and toddler hauler

Checkout my Junkyard TBI writeup: http://www.bustedjeep.com/projects/junkyardtbi.asp
ChiliPepperTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2007, 11:53 PM   #8
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

I'll play:

1989 and about 40 pounds ago...the one that started it all...

And shortly before I sold it in 1994 (yes, I paid to have the bug shield hand lettered at a car/truck show )...

Now where'd I put those parachute pants and my Members Only jacket?
Unread 07-14-2007, 06:22 AM   #9
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Quote:
I'll play:

1989 and about 40 pounds ago...
isn't that the truth. I was thinking the same thing looking at these old pics.
that and wearing shorts that were, well, short.

Wife, daughter, me & Jeep
Daughter just graduated form UNC

Colorado roads up near Durango (I think)
Check out the WOOD rear bumper

Weekend camping with my 1st sgt and his family
Unread 07-14-2007, 07:08 AM   #10
wwhitby
1979 CJ5 

I've got the bolt-to-the-windsheild-hinge Olympic light bar on my CJ-5 now. I've had it on there since the early '90s and don't plan on removing it anytime soon.

I like having the 4 additional lights, and since i'm a comm geek, i've got a scanner antenna mounted on there as well.

Warren
Just Empty Every Pocket
wwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2007, 08:29 AM   #11
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman
isn't that the truth. I was thinking the same thing looking at these old pics.
that and wearing shorts that were, well, short.

Wife, daughter, me & Jeep
Daughter just graduated form UNC

Colorado roads up near Durango (I think)
Check out the WOOD rear bumper

Weekend camping with my 1st sgt and his family
Nice wife...I mean...lightbar.
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2007, 10:15 AM   #12
twmattox

I have an extra black Carr light bar sitting in my garage... The PO used it to mount blue lights (volunteer fire fighter). I can't use it because the garage I park in at work is very low (I have around 2" of clearance). If anyone is interested, let me know...
twmattox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2007, 11:11 AM   #13
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Did those bug deflectors work? I see all of you sporting one. ?
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.