Best Lift for Highway Driving - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Best Lift for Highway Driving

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 01-16-2010, 08:20 AM   #1
KevinOpp
1982 CJ7 

Best Lift for Highway Driving

What do you recommend?

KevinOpp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
rishar1
1973 CJ5 

The BDS is a good lift for on and off road. Its good and soft on the road but is stiff enough for off and it flexs quite well. Or if your looking for street driving only I would look into a YJ spring swap lift. If you have the money any of the RE lifts have the wider YJ springs and every thing you need to put them in.
rishar1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2010, 09:50 PM   #3
KevinOpp
1982 CJ7 

Appreciate your insight rishar1. Also what part of KY are you located?
Unread 01-16-2010, 10:23 PM   #4
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

The Rubicon Express (RE) 4.5" HD lift kit is very complete and very flexible while being very stable but it is also very tall.

What size tire are you going to run?

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 05:12 AM   #5
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

I think you need at least a 4" lift to run over Mini Coopers and possibly 6" to run over VW Bugs. Lift for hiway driving? are you kidding?
Dngrs1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 07:32 AM   #6
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

None! If you can live without the look then leave it stock.
Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 08:16 AM   #7
D-BO
1985 CJ7 

My Jeep is a daily highway driver with the Rubicon Express 4.5" lift and 33 x 13.50 super swamper LTB's. I love it. I don't know if the old springs were just shot or what but I swear it rides and handles better now than when stock.
D-BO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 09:00 AM   #8
KevinOpp
1982 CJ7 

My plan is to run 33's. I like the RE but it does seem a bit high. Yeah I know, lift for highway driving. But when you do a complete restore the last thing you want to do is it again!!!!!!!!!!!

Not 100% sure but I think the PE compensated for sagging springs buy putting on different shackels. The front has two different types.... looks wild!

Down to the frame and it's in great shape. I will have to replace the two frame body mount bracets that's in front of the rear wheels.

Thanks again!
Unread 01-17-2010, 09:18 AM   #9
brussell
1983 CJ7 

Skyjacker all the way. I've never run anything else that was as soft. If you want highway performance go with the 4" Skyjacker and Rancho 9000's with swaybar disconnects.

I had Explorers and Superlift and I swear the thing was useless off road. I could go more places in 2WD with factory springs than in 4WD with either of those stiff sets.
brussell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 08:30 AM   #10
rishar1
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Also what part of KY are you located
Centralish right between Elizabethtown and leitchfield if you know where that is. If not its about 40-50 miles south of louisville.
rishar1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 09:14 AM   #11
IDK

I've got the Ranchero lift kit with 2" of lift and to most people my Jeep looks stock, but it's not and it serves as a great DD as well as a weekend trail warrior.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.