Best Gauge Designs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Best Gauge Designs

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 11-27-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
RetiredSERE

1980 CJ7 

Best Gauge Designs

So who makes the best gauges? Almost to the point on the build to replace all the gauges. Think I will stick with electrical gauges, to include an electrical speedo.

What is the consensus???

Admit to Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations...

I Feel Like a Monkey F***ing a Football..
RetiredSERE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
CJ258
1974 CJ5 

I'm looking at Stewart Warner gauges since I've used them for everything else in the past. For an oil press, gauge I'm going electric for the 1st time but going with a mechanical water temp. gauge.
This is the only vehicle I've ever had problems with as far as o.p. capillary lines breaking so I'm going electric. I want to run the ignition wire thru the press. sensor for auto cut off if oil press. drops too low since I have the oil sensor/ sending unit manifold.
CJ258 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

Go with mechanical Autometers. A little more work to install but well worth it.
Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2009, 08:12 AM   #4
skclark
1982 CJ7 

I'm considering the Glow Shift gauges after seeing them installed on a Truck U episode.
Performance Gauges & Gauge Pods GlowShift Gauges - Boost Wideband Air Fuel Gauges I like the elite 7 color. The tinted gauges go completely blank when you turn off the vehicle.
skclark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2009, 08:30 AM   #5
IDK

Go mechanical, like the guy above said they will be a little more work but well worth it! I plan to do the same.
Unread 12-02-2009, 08:32 AM   #6
green cj 78
1978 CJ7 

Auto-meter is the best... I have no preference for mechanical or electrical. I know mechanical are a little more accurate. I guess it depends on how savvy you are.

If auto meter doesn't do it for you, check out the Livorsi gauges, http://www.livorsi.com/

They make some pretty cool and custom gauges.

Last edited by green cj 78; 12-02-2009 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: More info
green cj 78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2009, 09:45 AM   #7
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

What makes a good gauge is one that tells you when you are in trouble.
It should be visable without having to take your eyes off the road.
Visable under all light conditions.
Quick glance will tell you if you are in trouble and were.
No need to be accurate. Putting a high accuracy gauge into a CJ, when best viewed from the passenger seat, in a CJ is just silly. You have parralax error a minimum and trying to read an oil pressure gauge in a CJ is just as dangerous as texting while driving. If you want accuracy, go digital. If only they didn't make them so geeky.

I think YJ's have a great gauge layout and anyone interested in gauges probably should look into putting a YJ dash into thier CJ.

I love the pods DieselSmake makes but a little leary about what my passenger might hit against in case of an accident. If Diesel Smoke makes a mold of his pods and makes the corners smoother and built out of rust proof fiberglass that will crush under impact. He will have a winner.

I also like the ones that mount on the window pillars. Putting them under the dash is also silly. HUD's would be great but not enough angle on the window to make it work.

Mount your gauges so that all the needles point straight up when everything is running normal. Makes it easy to find the one pointing out the problem.

I realy like idiot lights or a klaxon that will sound off if you have a really serious problem.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2009, 10:22 AM   #8
skclark
1982 CJ7 

What I like about the glow shift is that you can set a threshold for some of thier guages and if it goes past the whole gage lights up red.
skclark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2009, 12:12 PM   #9
Mike1084
1979 CJ7 

I've always liked the white on black gauges that VDO sells. But the digital ones from Cyberdyne are pretty cool also.
http://www.usa.vdo.com/generator/www...tional_en.html
Cyberdyne Guages Home
Mike1084 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2009, 05:11 PM   #10
horselaff
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Ray View Post

x2 here
horselaff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2009, 05:38 PM   #11
brian613
1977 CJ5 

i like the looks of the glow shifts
brian613 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2009, 06:47 PM   #12
rodjr
1980 CJ7 

i used electric vdo, fit perfect, factory connectors plugged in, even the factory light sockets snap right in. didnt cut a single wire. checked them against mech gauges and they were dead on.
rodjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2009, 07:16 PM   #13
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Ray View Post
The only two gauges that can be mechanical are the coolant temp and the oil pressure. Everything else has to be electrical. The speedometer of course can be either, but I just do not think of that as a gauge, but I guess it is.

The gas gauge, voltmeter or ammeter are going to be electric.

I know back when mechanical gauges were the best, I do not believe that anymore. Sensors and electrical gauges are better now than ever. All of the fuel injected engines today use electrical sensors to control the engine. I see no reason not to use the same electrical sensors to monitor them or monitor carbureted engines.

Quote:
What I like about the glow shift is that you can set a threshold for some of thier guages and if it goes past the whole gage lights up red
I like that feature.

Jim
jfwireless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2009, 10:03 PM   #14
JKM3134
1983 CJ7 

it's funny how some of these posts come up as you're searching for an answer to the same question.

i think ill be going with VDO electrical gauges. mechanicals are supposedly more accurate. one, i don't buy into this theory. and two, im not building a spaceship, pinpoint accuracy is not a concern. i also don't like routing fluids into the cab.
JKM3134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2009, 10:18 PM   #15
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

Guages tell you what is going on under the hood. If you have to monitor the guages to keep track of whats going on all the time, you should spend more time doing PM's. I agree with John Strenk in that idiot lights work well to warn you of impending doom. They distract your attention from what you are supposed to be doing--driving---to warn you of failure. Then you can look at the guage to see where the failure is. Guages don't have to be super accurate; unless you are running a very tight, high dollar race setup. I think the best guages to tell you how your rig is running is your ears, nose, eyes and sense of touch.
Dngrs1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.