Best Frame Paint - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Best Frame Paint

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Jeep Wrangler Framless, Bowless, Trektops 92-95 YJ, 97-06 TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 09-26-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
ctappan94
1983 CJ7 

Best Frame Paint

Hey, Im getting a frame this week .. bare metal..brand new. I need to know what I should do to stop rust, stop fading, and... have a new looking chassis for years to come..whats the most durable stuff out there? and Also, if you could list the steps to applying it.. thanks!

ctappan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 02:24 PM   #2
Falcon_CMH

This is the way I would go:
This stuff looks awesome but it looks really really permanent from my resesarch for my frame: http://www.kbs-coatings.com/blacktop.html there are prepping steps first.

And for the inside of the frame this looks great: http://www.eastwood.com/internal-fra...ay-nozzle.html
Unread 09-26-2011, 02:24 PM   #3
SgtJensen
1982 CJ7 

From what I have read, most everyone sings the praises of Por-15.

The CJ Express
Don't argue with an idiot, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience...

"100 BUX" Build Thread
SgtJensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

por15 and/or chassis saver, and for the inside that spray stuff falcon linked
'79 CJ7 stock, 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_304_cj7 View Post
I used Marvel once before I took my Jeep out on the trails. I didn't get stuck all weekend so I guess it works.
SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
Falcon_CMH

The reason I prefer the KBS stuff from my research nothing and I mean nothing removes it once it dries it impervious to all compounds/liquids inluding walter salt even tougher stuff like acids. Sounds like nothing will remove it period once it hardends, its even impervious to UV.
Unread 09-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #6
ctappan94
1983 CJ7 

This KBS stuff ...its a kit..with multiple processes... more things to do = more to mess up... and ..how many gallons of chassis paint does it take to get a good amount of protection on the frame? I live in NJ so I assume more is better..and once I get one coat of..lets say POR 15..once its dry..can I put another right over it? or..
ctappan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #7
Falcon_CMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctappan94 View Post
This KBS stuff ...its a kit..with multiple processes... more things to do = more to mess up... and ..how many gallons of chassis paint does it take to get a good amount of protection on the frame? I live in NJ so I assume more is better..and once I get one coat of..lets say POR 15..once its dry..can I put another right over it? or..
Anytime bare metal is being coated you cannot just put por-15 on it it needs a primer of sort otherwise it will crack off. KBS has 3 steps the first is to clean the metal if you skip that even with por-15 and primer you will get less than desireable results.
Unread 09-26-2011, 03:06 PM   #8
cj7ole
1984 CJ7 

Inside is the most important. That is where wet mud and sand will sit for years and rot it from the inside. You can always clean and repaint the outside. We just finished putting six feet of 5" x 3/16" plate on the CJ's frame to fix the rust holes and cracks. If I could remove all of the rust slabs from inside the frame they would probably weigh 10 or 15 pounds. We found the bad spots a spot at a time. Had we starting beating on it with a welding pick/hammer and found all the bad spots all at once, I would probably have gone with a new frame.

One guy taped off all of the holes, poured Por-15 or Chassis Saver inside and rotated and tilted the frame until every inch inside was covered, then drained the excess. That is what I would do. Maybe twice or three times. Now if you live in Phoenix, that is probably overkill. On the other hand, that inside spray idea using one of those killer coatings might be easier.

I just painted the frame (outside only) and a half quart of Chassis Saver gave me one coat, brushing it on. $40/qt at NAPA.
Unread 09-26-2011, 03:11 PM   #9
Falcon_CMH

All metal has rust even new metal along with moisture that is captured in the coating process that causes rust under the coating (and through it eventually as the coating degrades) unless the coating you use is made to stop rust and encapsulate it and the coating doesn't degrade. You can reduce the moisture captured under the coating by heating the metal you are coating at coating time.
Unread 09-26-2011, 03:18 PM   #10
Falcon_CMH

The guy in ths thread said por-15 came off even with the prep/primer step: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/pa.../#post12229136

I just hate to see you get a new frame and not protect it properly.
Unread 09-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #11
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
It doesn't matter what you choose, there is never going to be a one step solution so get the idea of "simple" out of your head. With a new frame you are going to need to find a way to clean and degrease the inside before it's coated (whether it's getting primered, por'd or otherwise) or nothing is going to stick to it. Oils, dust and debris from the steel mill and construction of the frame are going to be in those frame rails and trying to get anything to stick to it properly without good prep is fighting a losing battle.

Besides, you spent a bunch of money on a new frame why wouldn't you want to be tedious about protecting it to ensure it never needs to be addressed again during your lifetime? With all the threads about new parts and options for your build I see on here it looks like you have alot of work ahead of you. Here's a friendly tip, don't rush or half a$$ anything just to get it done and see the finished product or you'll be going back and re-doing things again.......costing you even more $$$.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #12
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

bare metal, why not get that stuff that electrical charge and then baked on. be good for lifetime of you
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #13
Falcon_CMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
bare metal, why not get that stuff that electrical charge and then baked on. be good for lifetime of you
Powder coating? I don't think that is a good choice.
Unread 09-26-2011, 04:50 PM   #14
bkeese
1949 CJ3A 

Quote:
Hey, Im getting a frame this week .. bare metal..brand new. I need to know what I should do to stop rust, stop fading, and... have a new looking chassis for years to come..whats the most durable stuff out there? and Also, if you could list the steps to applying it.. thanks!
I've spent years agonizing over this question and I believe I have the answer! First buy a cheap undercoat kit. I've got 2 one was a professional and the other I believe was JC Whitney. I sprayed POR=15 inside the frame using the long wands and various nozzles (360 degree) that came in the kit. Now spray the exterior of the frame with POR-15, allow to tack up (1 hour) then coat with whatever color coat you want. My case it was a cheap Plum crazy purple. The fact that you sprayed the color while it was tacky, means it is stuck to the POR-15 hard. POR-15 is the original rust paint, everyone else is a pretender. Sandblasting will not remove this paint. My frame sat outside on jack stands for a couple years and the only hint of rust was a tiny pin hole size spot on a weld. Man this thing was beautiful after 2 years. The Jeep is not done, so no real world experience, but I believe you can't go wrong. POR-15 only negative is it is not UV stabilized. Not a problem following my procedures. You won't be disappointed.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.