best engine replacment? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > best engine replacment?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 02-19-2002, 09:38 AM   #1
OfFtHeWaLl

best engine replacment?

Well as you probably noticed im a rooki and not a verry good gear head. LOL so I turn to you for advice.. I want to get rid of this 4banger and get at least a 6cy what would be the best and most hastle free change-out?

I have a 84 Cj7 inline 4cy ( rats on strike)

33 2in lift
it's my problem child
butt i love it
OfFtHeWaLl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2002, 05:36 PM   #2
K5QM

Just finished replacing my '86 CJ-7 4 cyl with '91 Chevy 4.3 and a turbo 350 trany. The engine is out of a '91 full size pickup. If I can help drop me an email.
Jerry
K5QM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2002, 11:53 PM   #3
1911shtr

Swapping in a better tranny and engine is a good idea. it is also really expensive. You could rebuild your motor. You could have it bored out. put in performance pistons, rods, rings, crank, and cam. Put on hedders. Add an aftermarket intake manifold. A weber carb and aircleaner and a better ignition. like msd. You will come out much cheaper than a swap.
1911shtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2002, 11:49 AM   #4
Hounddog

As said before, swapping a drivetrain can be expensive, but if you can locate an entire donor vehicle to strip, then most of the items would be from there and would help keep costs down.

I had the 4-banger in my CJ for 14 years. I went the route of putting on the Weber carb, better exhaust, better air filter ect., but I think that putting in the 4.3 was probably one of the best mods I've made to my Jeep. It has made it much more enjoyable to drive - both on and off the road.

I would do some research into what kind vehicles are available to use as a donor, weigh your costs (add at least 20% to your total for unforseen problems), make a budget, and go for it. Just MHO. E-mail me if you have any questions.

Jamie
Unread 02-28-2002, 01:09 PM   #5
junger

Well, you get a couple good things with 4, the best being better oem gear ratios than those that came with the 258. Once you swap your engine out, you'll be set. If I remember correctly, the bellhousing that is on your 4 will mate, without any major mods, with a couple decent engines... check out jeeptech.com. Those iron duke bellhousings are worth some cash. What tranny is behind it? If it's a T4 or T5, I'd replace the tranny as well. If its the T176, keep it!

-Josh
junger is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.