Best DIY tub liner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Best DIY tub liner

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-23-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
joes1982CJ

Best DIY tub liner

Getting ready to line my tub and figured i was ask everyone opinion on best do it yourself liner..

im thinking that the raptor is best but i figure those of you that have done it already would know better than me..

1-raptor
2-herculiner
3-monstaliner
4- ???

also, i know that prep is key, let me know of any tricks or tips,, im just planning on ruffing up the existing paint with some ruff sand paper.

thanks in advance

joes1982CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

Start here, especially pay attention to how they prep, if all you do is rough it up, nothing will stick for long Raptor rockss and is easy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sp...you-do-460435/

Read the whole thing
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #3
turnabout
1974 CJ5 

Do a search and you will find several extensive write-ups on liners to include what's best, prep as well as application techniques.
Unread 01-23-2010, 05:07 PM   #4
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

I don't 'Roll' anything anymore.
I discovered a $13 Shutz undercoating gun, and I haven't had to deal with the mess of a roller since then!

I use Herculiner.
It's the best of the 'Cheap' self-applied coatings.
Goes on easy, repairs easy,
A little sensitive to UV light, so you have to freshen it up every 4 or 5 years if you don't have a top on...

Cuts with Xylene paint solvent, so you can wash down with Xylene and spray new top coat or repair coat with no issues.

Air powered spray gun is the absolutely best way to get the stuff on.
you can do an entire interior of a tub in about 10 minutes, and you can get into places you can't hope to reach with brush or roller!

Keeps YOU a lot cleaner also!

I get the 'Shutz' brand undercoating guns off of E-bay for between $10 & $20, and they save you a TON of time, money & cleanup in the long run!

On a warm, humid day you can litterally make Circles around the tub, and finish up one 'Lap' aorund about the time the stuff is ready for the second coat,
Same for the third coat, and you are done in one setting instead of having to go back over and over and over again!

NEVER DO ONE COAT,
You need a MINIMUM of two, and get the best results with 3 or 4 coats.
That's 3 or 4 seriously sticky messes if you use brush or roller!

Undercoating gun lets you keep the particles of rubber suspended and distributed better than with a brush/roller also,
MUCH LESS WASTE of product that is $75 for three quarts in a gallon can...

I usually use one of the sand blaster guns that have a suction tube to a bucket for seams, rust spots, feathering down where paint has chipped, and removing paint that isn't adhered well.
They come off the tool sale trucks or E-bay for $20 or so also.

If you get the Herculiner spray gun kit, it's just a sand blaster gun, and they plug up when you shoot bedliner through them.
The Shutz guns do a much better job.

If you get the stuff with rubber particles in it 'Rough',
Then there is no such thing as too much stirring, and the gun will let you lay on the liner before the rubber particles drop out of suspension.

Can't do that with a brush/roller, you have to stir constantly and you still won't get as even of coverage as you get with a gun...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.