Best Dana 44 high steer arms for CJ5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Best Dana 44 high steer arms for CJ5

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
TIPPEDITOVER

1978 CJ5 

Best Dana 44 high steer arms for CJ5

WFO Concepts sells some nice high steer arms. They made them with a bend to clear thicker spring packs when going SOA. They use stock hardware to mount and give that lift without a spacer.

http://www.wfoconcepts.com/pr/Dana-4...3168/3461/3708

I'm just trying to decide which high steer arms to get.

TIPPEDITOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
John N
1981 CJ8 

I got mine from Parts Mike. He milled, drilled and tapped the knuckle and attached the arm.
John N is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Get the ones that best suit your needs. They are all the same basic part, but have some small differences. Look at the small differences and get the ones that suit your needs.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 10:02 AM   #4
TIPPEDITOVER

1978 CJ5 

Well, I'm gonna stay away from the inverted T setups. Not hearing or reading good things. Vague steering on the street is what I'm hearing, due to tie-rod roll. I'm going with conventional crossover steering. Thanks John N! I'm gonna check out Parts Mike.
Unread 02-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
84scrambler
1984 CJ8 

http://www.partsmike.com/store/store...on=show_detail

I used parts mike as well. The link is above. These come with the studs, conical washers and nuts. Not sure if the WFO's do so these might be cheaper in the long run.

I never ordered from WFO so I cant say anything about them but dealing with Partsmike has been good. I had an issue where they screwed up one of the holes in the pitman arm and it was a no hassles replacements. They really do have good customer service. I also used them for a pitman arm. Link is below.

http://www.partsmike.com/store/store...on=show_detail

Just an FYI my setup uses a spring over with M.O.R.E. shackle reversal. When I used the parts mike arms and setup the chevy tie rod end (ES2233LD) for the steering attachment point I had an interference issue. I had to purchase an offset steering box bracket from M.O.R.E. to get everything to clearance nicely. If you have to go with the M.O.R.E. offset steering box bracket be prepared to notch your frame a little to clear the hydraulic lines to the box.
84scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 02:26 AM   #6
TIPPEDITOVER

1978 CJ5 

Thanks for the tips 84scrambler! I already ordered the M.O.R.E HD offset steering box bracket tonight. Sucks to notch the cross-member, but oh well.
Unread 02-19-2013, 07:37 AM   #7
CSP

Parts Mike has good stuff. Also check with their prices on pre-built steering linkage (drag link and tie rod). I spent more building my own, even with jobber prices at the auto parts store, than I would have spent letting them build them to length for me.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #8
TIPPEDITOVER

1978 CJ5 

Once all the parts are delivered (everything has been ordered ) I'll put up a small build thread with photos and mention of all aspects that go into making this work. When I was researching the challenge of getting a sprung over D44 into a CJ5 all I could find where little pieces of the puzzle. Something that was lacking where detailed photos and specifics to doing this in a CJ5. I've been told the reason for this supposedly is because now everyone is installing Dana 60's in the front of their rigs. It's the latest trend I guess. I don't keep up with trends.

Dana 60's are strong, but they weigh in at over 500 lbs fully dressed. Weight is not your friend when trying to climb steep off-camber terrain with slick, uneven rock and loose flat shale mixed in for fun. Weight is no friend of decent fuel economy on the highway as well. This Dana 44 will weigh slightly over 1/2 the amount of a 60 and be strong enough for any trail WA state has to offer. Maybe I'm preaching to the choir, I don't know.

Shoot, my narrow track Dana 30 has already tackled most trails here without breaking. Of course, I wheel with my brain, not my right foot. I'm just going with a D44 so I can remove any and all doubt about the reliability of my front axle. After the day I saw how small the ring and pinion was in a D30 I knew it had to go bye-bye. Prior to that I had no problem with my D30, but now that I'm aware, I can't go back. That R&P looked like something that belongs in a Honda ATV 4-wheeler, I swear.

Ok guys, thank you for your responses. I'm off my soap-box. Without your help I would have probably given up and bought a Subaru
Unread 02-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #9
TIPPEDITOVER

1978 CJ5 

OH BTW these are the high steer arms I bought. I wanted conventional crossover high steer - no inverted T. These will provide conventional crossover, plus lift over the thicker spring pack without a spacer. They are the only ones I've found in endless searches.

http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new...duct.php?id=67
Unread 02-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #10
twinstickd20
Cause 2 is better than 1

1979 CJ7 

I bought my high steer arms from sky offroad, they are thicker to help clear the springs on a soa rig. I used caliper mounts from SAMs Offroad and Chevy Dana 44 flattop knuckles all with synergy Dana 44 ball joints on a Dana 30 axle. Here is some pics of the parts and progress. Check my build to see how it turns out in a week or so.
image-1478618.jpg   image-3631980916.jpg   image-3518028948.jpg   image-4124345772.jpg   image-1208568841.jpg  

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.