Best CJ7 Rear Axle Swap - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Best CJ7 Rear Axle Swap

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-21-2009, 08:26 PM   #16
Tortured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokeester View Post
"moving the pumpkin" is well beyond the average fabricator. Plus rubi axles are setup for coil springs not leaf springs. Also, you need the pumpkin on the passenger side, not drivers. And lastly they are not found exactly cheap anywhere I have seen. Not the way to go if you ask me.
That's what I meant by " moving the pumpkin ", moving it from "drivers side to passengers side". I've fabricated and installed signs for over 20yrs so to me it's not really to difficult. As far as cost you can grab those axels for 200 to 300 a piece, that's what you usually pay for lockers. So in my opinion it's a great way to go. But I do understand that if cutting off the coil brackets and welding spring pads on the tubes seems too overwhelming then by all means go a different direction.

Last edited by Tortured; 10-21-2009 at 09:53 PM..
Tortured is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 08:31 PM   #17
1980tallcj7
1980 CJ7 

I dumped the amc20 a long time ago in favor of the NT D44 from the 72-75 CJ5,
Same bolt pattern, same width, stronger tubes and housing, better ground clearance, better aftermarket support, Just weld some new perches on and you're ready to go. 'Course you want disks, so you'll need to address that.
Unread 10-22-2009, 08:59 AM   #18
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortured View Post
I've fabricated and installed signs for over 20yrs so to me it's not really to difficult. As far as cost you can grab those axels for 200 to 300 a piece, that's what you usually pay for lockers. So in my opinion it's a great way to go.
Are you aware that the front Rubi 44 has an axle tube that has the same diameter and wall thickness as a Dana 30 (as does the rear Rubi 44)? How about the fact that it has way weaker outers (same as TJ D30), the inability to have a lockout hub, and uses a different lug pattern?

There are way better options than any so called D44 that a Rubi uses with way less work involved to get them under a CJ, IMO. It's not like the junkyards are littered with Rubicons either.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2009, 09:02 AM   #19
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

Getting into this one a bit late;

The AMC 20 is cheap to use on the street but may fail (minimum upgrades= flanged axles (not cheap) and welded tubes)... a waste of time & $ on an obsolete axle, IMO.

If you have narrow track and want to keep it a flanged axle D44 from a mail jeep is the way to go for moderate off road use and moderate tires. The D30 front will also likely last pretty well under these conditions also.

If you are considering Ford 8.8s the only ones that do not seem to have occasional axle bending issues under hard use, around here, are those from full sized pickup trucks (can be had with the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern but will not match your front axle width).

The small bolt pattern D44s also have occasional axle bending issues under hard off road use.

The Waggy or Scout D44s front and rear are OK for tires up to 35 or 36 inches but are undersized for larger tires, unless driven with care.

D30 front axles, with a v-8 and/or 35" or larger tires, are a waste of time & $ under hard use off road (including the Rubicon D30 and the crossbred "D44" made with D30 parts), IMO. (The hermaphrodite Rubicon D44 front, after 2007 (spendy), is supposed to be relatively strong but there may be some aftermarket parts issues as it may use a non standard ring gear. These are still relatively rare in scrap yards.)

For hard use off road with large tires, 38"+, a D60 rear and a D44HD front are pretty much the standard minimum (for hard abuse off road with even larger tires and a healthy v-8; use bigger axles yet, rear 14 bolt and front D60).

Rear disk brakes are relatively cheap with any of the above axles and can be done with stock (or adapted stock) parts.

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.

Last edited by Happy Joe; 10-24-2009 at 08:55 AM..
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2009, 10:52 AM   #20
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

I can buy a rear scout D44 axle here for $100. It is 58" wide (about 2" more than the CJ AMC 20). There are at least two ways to put disk brakes on it. It already has a 5 on 5.5" pattern. The waggy axles are even better but you would need to swap to 6 bolt wheels if you don't want to go to a lot of trouble swapping knuckles and re-drilling flanges or getting wheel adapters. I'm in here even later than Happy Joe. The Jeep in my avatar has 2 scout axles on it.
Unread 10-23-2009, 11:39 AM   #21
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7Rubicon View Post
85 cj7 with and 8.8 out of an explorer with 5x4.5 to 5 on 5.5 adapters and 15x10 wheels with 13.50 wide tires,just for reference.Its wide.

I think that is a poor example due to the added width of the adapters, wheels and low backspacing. Explorer 8.8's are under 60" & narrower than stock XJ/TJ/etc axles.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2009, 02:14 PM   #22
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavementPounder View Post
I think that is a poor example due to the added width of the adapters, wheels and low backspacing. Explorer 8.8's are under 60" & narrower than stock XJ/TJ/etc axles.
x2

I've seen 8.8's on CJ's before with 35x12.50x15's and they arent near that wide. Thats part of the reason I am going 8.8 is because i dont want to be that wide.
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2009, 05:09 PM   #23
CJ7Rubicon
1985 CJ7 

You will need to get 5 on 5.5 shafts and redrilled rotors to make it narrower.Unless you run 5 on 4.5 wheels on the back.I posted that as reference only and stated what it had.It can be done differently.This is what I did because at the time I had to have a rear and was pressed for money.When funds allow I am going to install 5.5 axles and new rotors.
Blue Jeep Club Member #134
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tQ_AE6iqis
http://www.freedomoffroad.org
CJ7Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2009, 07:29 PM   #24
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7Rubicon View Post
You will need to get 5 on 5.5 shafts and redrilled rotors to make it narrower.Unless you run 5 on 4.5 wheels on the back.I posted that as reference only and stated what it had.It can be done differently.This is what I did because at the time I had to have a rear and was pressed for money.When funds allow I am going to install 5.5 axles and new rotors.
Superior's "Super 88" kit. Keeps the 5x4.5" pattern as well, which makes the axle marketable to either crowd in the event of resale.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.