Best Axle out there??? (Ford 9"/ Dana 44/AMC 20/OTHER) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Best Axle out there??? (Ford 9"/ Dana 44/AMC 20/OTHER)

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-18-2003, 01:34 PM   #1
jeepcj7

Best Axle out there??? (Ford 9"/ Dana 44/AMC 20/OTHER)

Best Axle out there??? (Ford 9"/ Dana 44/AMC 20/OTHER) What is the best axle that they have that when slightly modified would fit a CJ7 and be successful? Which is strongest? Which is cheapest? Which in most practical and economical? What do ya'll run?? THANX in advance.

jeepcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2003, 01:41 PM   #2
Chad Churchill

I have a modle AMC 20 with 4.56/full/and Detroit..
I would of gone with a 44 but it came with a AMC 20, so that is what I have.. if you go with a FORD 9'' or a Danna 60 you are ganna lose ground clerince. lol unless you have some 38'' BFG lol
Good luck with your axle Hunt..
'84 AMC CJ7.. 4" rancho 9000 9 way+ 1'' Tow Shacks+ 1'' BD, 9,000 warn winch, 33''BFG mudd, T176,Danna 300 with Twin shifter,44 front,20rear,4.56 with locks, 258beefed, w. fuel injected!,MSD,new white paint, all new intr., and two onbord airs. Member of TMTC, member of offroadministry, and go 4x4ing all over the U.S.A.!!!
'98 TJ... 4" Teraflex with rancho 9000 9 ways. 33" all's with solid Axles and 4.56 with locks.. Hunter green and ready to go..
Chad Churchill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2003, 06:55 PM   #3
pontiac58
1980 CJ7 

It really depends on your setup, if you run 31's stay stock, if you run 33's you can get away with stock and a little beefing. Get to 35's and its time to upgrade or majorly beef stock stuff. And what works for one guy wont work for you. You really have to do your homework to figure out what would be best for you. I know guys that run a stock d30, with locker and 35 swampers and dont break a thing. Me i couldnt get a ujoint in my 30 with 33 swampers and no locker. So its really hard to say what is the best for you. Only you can decide that.
pontiac58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2003, 07:02 PM   #4
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

I run am AMC 20 w/4.56's, and Warn FF kit behind a beefy 360 with no problems - turning 35's also. A D/44 is no upgrade IMO. The 9" is a great axle but is only 1/8" larger in ring gear size than the 20.
If my AMC 20 gives me problems I'll put a D/60 in....
Unread 03-22-2003, 12:54 AM   #5
rok_toy

Well, the D44 has stronger tubing than the amc 20, the 9" is a great axle, but the pinion is very low( hangs up on rocks). You can beef the amc 20, but you'll still have the weak tubing.

The best upgrade, in my eyes, is the 9". If you have some money to throw around, you can get a high pinion center section!! Then you'll be set.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.