Which Is The Best Aluminum Valve Cover - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Which Is The Best Aluminum Valve Cover

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-10-2007, 09:18 PM   #1
dhood

Which Is The Best Aluminum Valve Cover

Hi guys,

I am going to buy an aluminum valve cover and want to buy one where I have to do the least amount of tapping or none at all. What do you suggest? Thanks

Dave

dhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2007, 10:26 PM   #2
Bard
1985 CJ7 

I don't think there is a best. I had a clifford and some no name and both worked great. As for drilling and tapping, it is just going to happen, so grin and bear it
ideally prep work is key, I clean it all down with brake kleen, I RVT'd my gasket to the cover, let it dry for a day after I measured and tapped the needed holes, and then RVT'd the gasket and set it, torqued it down and it hasn't leaked yet, knock on wood.
85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2007, 08:26 AM   #3
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

double what Bard said!

it's not so much the cover, (though you do want a decent one) the drilling/tapping is all due to the engine block.

I went with this one, which I think is GREAT deal

http://www.baseline4x4.com/proddetai...rod=17401%2E09

and if you haven't read up on changing one, the Cliff's notes are:

slightly drill out the holes in the cover for a little wiggle room, get a bottoming tap, use whatever bolts will work (use washers if they are too long, don't overtighten), you may want to put a stud in the very back hole, and do like Bard said with the gasket, and you shoud be good to go!

Good luck

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2007, 08:24 PM   #4
Houdini
1984 CJ7 

Check this one out.

[URL="http://www.yourcovers.com/vc_8656.shtml"]

I've bought there Trans pan and difff cover for my Dodge. Excellent quality. I'm thinking of getting the valve cover and selling my current cast cover.
Houdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2007, 12:36 PM   #5
SuB8HaVeN
1986 CJ7 

I got one off eBay and it worked OK. No matter what brand, you're going to have to tap the mounting holes on the driver side of the head. That's the hardest part...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.