Bent transfer case skid plate, hanging trans case - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Bent transfer case skid plate, hanging trans case

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
Mp5ben
2001 WJ 

Bent transfer case skid plate, hanging trans case

Tried getting a better look at where my transfer case leak was coming from and thought it'd be a good idea to remove the skid plate for a better view, well, I removed all the bolts attaching it except for one on the right passenger side and the whole thing came down. I didn't know the transfer skid was holding the whole thing up...anyway, the transfer case/tranny came down on the skid plate with the one bolt holding it up and the skid plate got bent.
Now the holes don't match up when I'm putting it back on by about a few centimeters, should I just bend it back into shape? And if so, how would you guys do it? Is bending it back and forth a little bit going to weaken the metal much? Looking forward to any help guys, thanks.

Mp5ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Did you disconnect the rest of the mounts? Jack up the tranny and put a jackstand under it. Bend the bent bolt tab back into place. It is going to be a PITA to reattach the skid plate, so be advised! While it is down make sure you didn't damage the torque arm, and you MAW inspect the tranny mount (the rubber bushing bolting the tranny to the skidplate). Glad you didn't get hurt!!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

just bend it back, should be fine.
'79 CJ7 stock, 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_304_cj7 View Post
I used Marvel once before I took my Jeep out on the trails. I didn't get stuck all weekend so I guess it works.
SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
Tigerjeep79

1979 CJ7 

The skid plate is the transmission/transfer case mount. Bet that came as a nasty surprise! Don't feel bad, you didn't get hurt (my brother almost lost two fingers just by dropping a starter - imagine what a transfer case could do).

Hold the transmission up with a jack and remove the skid plate. Now would be a good time to replace the mount and the torque arm. They're cheap, anyway. Beat the skid plate back into shape with a BFH, and it'll be fine.

Might want to check to see if the fan gouged the radiator when everything came down.
Tigerjeep79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 04:27 AM   #5
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerjeep79 View Post
The skid plate is the transmission/transfer case mount. Bet that came as a nasty surprise! Don't feel bad, you didn't get hurt (my brother almost lost two fingers just by dropping a starter - imagine what a transfer case could do)...
no matter how many times ive pulled the starter on mine, i always bang my fingers between the frame/spring hanger and the starter. hurts like hell.
'79 CJ7 stock, 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_304_cj7 View Post
I used Marvel once before I took my Jeep out on the trails. I didn't get stuck all weekend so I guess it works.
SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.