bent front drive saft. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > bent front drive saft.

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
zeronight
1982 CJ7 

bent front drive saft.

i was under the jeep looking for a gas leak when i noticed that my front drive shaft was bent. its got a bad bend in it and just a month ago it was fine. i have no idea how it happened as i haven't done anything but drive it on the street. how important is it to be straight? i want to be able to drive it in 4hi in the winter for getting to work.

zeronight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Are you sure it's not just the slip joint? Get under the jeep and see if you can move it around at the joint.

B
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

If you're going to drive in 4hi, it's pretty important the front shaft be straight and balanced, or you'll get a vibration. Is it bent, or is it twisted (like a corkscrew)? Can you see any evidence of contact around the bell housing/transmission?

lucdog is correct in suggesting that it may just be a worn slip joint. It can look like the shaft is bent when it's really just free play... either way, you'll want to repair/replace it before you need it.
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #4
zeronight
1982 CJ7 

i dont feel like taking a pic right now but it defenatley has a bow to it. and theres no evidence of any contact with anything. the last time i used 4wd was when i was using it to pull out some bushes in the front yard. could that have done it?
Unread 10-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #5
WSS
1972 CJ5 

If it is indeed a bow, then it is most likely the driver and not the bushes. Hard to tell. Is this your first CJ?
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Were you pulling the bushes in reverse? I'm pretty sure yanking people out in reverse is what bent my stock front shaft some years back. I don't have a clue why that would do it as the axle moves away from the t-case under compression. But it's the only thing I had done with my jeep other than drive it.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 06:00 AM   #7
zeronight
1982 CJ7 

That's exactly what I ended up doing. I couldn't get the winch to pull without dragging the Jeep so I tossed it in four low locking the hubs and backed out pulling the bushes I had no idea that could bend the crap out of my front driveshaft though
Unread 10-21-2013, 06:06 AM   #8
yahwhy
1982 CJ7 

Note to self,''No pulling in reverse''
yahwhy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 06:20 AM   #9
shadoow
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahwhy View Post
Note to self,''No pulling in reverse''
yea, really. I'd like to hear how pulling in reverse causes the front driveshaft to bend...not something that would have popped to mind if i were doing it
shadoow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #10
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

I would never have guessed it would hurt the drive shaft, but I was told when I was a young lad that pulling anything heavy in reverse was a bad idea because you're using the "wrong side" of the gears in the drive train. I don't know if it's true, but for some reason it seemed to make sense to me at the time and I've avoided doing that.

My guess is also the slip joint, but my view from here is obstructed.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #11
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Did the front wheels take a hard bump going forward? That would cause the front axle to move backward momentarily possibly bending the drive shaft. Just a suggestion.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #12
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I agree with not pulling anything heavy, or creating a shock load in reverse. In my personal experience, the ring gear teeth would let go first.
I also think it would twist the shaft instead of just bending it.

So tell us exactly how much force was used pulling the bush out. The Jeep on a paved surface, 4000 rpm, slack in the strap causing a shock load to the drive line when tightened?

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #13
iluvcowjuice
1979 CJ7 

I bent a drive shaft by hitting a guard rail once. What's the length? I have a few extra that are collecting dust on the shelf.
iluvcowjuice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #14
zeronight
1982 CJ7 

i had a strap around the bush and i had the winch cable hooked to it. i tried to use just the winch but even with the breaks on it was pulling the jeep to it so i put it in 4low and went forward for some slack and then i backed up. 3 or 4 pulls pulled the bush out. it wasent that difficult and i had no idea that this could hurt the jeep. i feel this is a weak point that i didn't know about. according to quadratech the length i need is 31.75 collapsed.
Unread 10-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #15
zeronight
1982 CJ7 

i never hit over 2500rpm and i was on pavement.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.