bent driveshaft question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > bent driveshaft question

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesThe Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!

Unread 09-08-2009, 07:18 PM   #1
caleb7mm
1984 CJ7 

bent driveshaft question

lost the front u joint on the rear DS going about 50mph two days ago. It hit the underside so hard it put a small hole and a large dent under the pass seat. Didn't have a vice big enough to press in the new joints after removing the old ones. Took it to a shop and had them press them in for me. They told me the shaft is visibly bent and to have it rebalanced.

Has anyone successful had one rebalanced before? Is it junk now or is it salvageable?

thanks

(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
caleb7mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2009, 07:36 PM   #2
a2tripp
1993 XJ Cherokee 

if you get a vibration then a rebalance will work if the shaft integrity is still good.

[color=Black][center][size=4][font=Showcard Gothic][color=Black][url="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][color=Black]Built Not Bought #085[/color][/url][/color][/font][/size][/center]
[/color]
a2tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
No_Bs
1977 CJ5 

If you drive it on the road and the shaft is bent, it's most likely trashed. It's not worth making it straight again because it's almost the same as making a whole new shaft. Beings as you drive it on the road, I would have one made and balanced. Mine is visibly a banana, but it never sees the road.
Unread 09-09-2009, 09:02 AM   #4
CSP

I worked in a driveshaft shop when I was in college and we used to straighten bent shafts daily. We did everything from passenger vehicles, to OTR trucks, to off-road only dump trucks and loaders. To say that it would be as much work as having a new one built without seeing it is foolish. Driveshaft tubing isn't cheap.

Let the driveshaft shop decide what would work. It's amazing what you can do with an oxy-acetylene torch and a blast of air from a compressor to straighten out a bent tube. We would get ours so straight (within 0.003" of runout) that balancing was not necessary.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.