Bent Axle Confusion '74 CJ5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Bent Axle Confusion '74 CJ5

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 04-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
JDChris
1957 CJ5 

Bent Axle Confusion '74 CJ5

Hello forum. I've tried googling every key word I can think of, so I hope this isn't a repeat thread. I have a pretty bad flange wobble, but no leaks and the bearings 'sound' good. My trouble starts a little further back. Few questions....

what do the diff gear markings translate to?

how do I remove the axle shaft?--I cant find a manual/write up that relates to hubs without a castle nut (flanged, right?) dana 44 with c clips? do I actually know nothing about this axle?

what should I check after removing the axle shaft? (assuming the problem's not obvious)

My goal is to remove and check the axle shaft. I replaced the front shafts on a tj, so I'm a little familiar with what I'm getting into. Any input is GREATLY appreciated. It's my dd and only set of wheels.

image-4189967302.jpg   image-3823512182.jpg   image-2961886957.jpg   image-3501518816.jpg   image-157865024.jpg  

JDChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
CSP

The markings on the ring gear: First is the date of manufacture 5-04-73, second is a part number, third is the number of ring gear teeth and pinion teeth (47 11). Divide the two and you get the gear ratio, 47/11=4.27:1 which was optional on 72-75 CJs.

To remove the axleshaft pop the rubber or plastic cover off that circle on the left side of the flange in your first picture. Through that hole insert a socket and extension to reach the six nuts behind the flange which hold it all on. Once the nuts have been removed you can remove the axleshaft/bearing/bearing retainer assembly. There are no c-clips on a Dana 44.

Download the factory service manual for your '74 here: http://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
JDChris
1957 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP
...,There are no c-clips on a Dana 44.
haha To think I was losing my mind over a plastic cap. Came off with a tap. This one post made my life so much happier--thanks for the reply. We're about to see if the past week of pb blasting was in vain.

Is it recommended to replace these bolts?
JDChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 07:31 AM   #4
CSP

No, you don't need to replace them. You'll find that the bolts have an oddball shaped head.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.