Belt squeal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Belt squeal

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 03-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #1
CJ7KAHUNA

1985 CJ7 

Belt squeal

I have new belts on my CJ7. I havent been driving it much but now that I am starting to the belts will squeal from time to time right after start up on high speed idle. They usuallyi stop after a short distance but its annoying and embarrassing.

What causes this and whats the best remedy? Seems I remember a friend putting bar soap on the underside of his back in highschool. Not sure how smart that is

CJ7KAHUNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
sarfu
1974 CJ5 

Belt could be loose? I had the same problem, adjusted the alternator and problem went away, you can also buy a belt conditioner from the parts store.
sarfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
CJ7KAHUNA

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarfu View Post
Belt could be loose? I had the same problem, adjusted the alternator and problem went away, you can also buy a belt conditioner from the parts store.
Not too loose - maybe too tight?? I'll look into this conditioner you speak of. thanks.
CJ7KAHUNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
sanmiam
1983 CJ7 

Too tight will also cause squealing and could potentially damage bearing in your alt/PS pump. You want about a 1/2" of deflection on the belts when you press down with 1 finger on their longest unsupported run (ontop).
Unread 03-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

If the belts have glazed over, they need to be replaced. Check the pulleys to make sure they are not coated in something.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
noahlon
1968 CJ5 

Get a bar of canning wax at the grocery store, or a candle, and while the engine is running, CAREFULLY apply the wax on the inside of the belts. Works like a charm!!
noahlon is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.