Bellhousing starter threads stripped - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Bellhousing starter threads stripped

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
beerbulance
1986 CJ7 

Bellhousing starter threads stripped

Hey everybody!
Engine rebuild on the 258 I-6 went well. Purrs like a kitten! A few leaks here and there, but working on those.
However.......my exuberant assistant mechanic, who installed the starter managed to finally stip out the threads (sorry strip) out the threads in the bellhousing. I invested in a premium starter, and don't want to blow this starter up......as we are on starter number 8.
I tried the heli-coil, per instructions....lasted maybe 3 starts before the grind.
I drilled the helicoil out, and got creative.....grade 8 cap bolt, all the way thru. No luck....same old grind.
I have read older posts about this problem, and its solutions. (Helicoil, have hole welded shut and re-drilled/tapped).
Any final ideas?????
Before I pinch out another $400 or so bucks?
I thought about the used bellhousing route........but I put the money into the motor, I really don't want to crawl up under the beast and change a used bellhousing that might have the same problem in 6 mths to a year.
I've had enough grease for awhile. It's time to drive!!!!
And the fish are biting here in Florida, and "Blackbeard" is my fishing/part time work vehicle. Thanks all!

beerbulance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Replace the bellhousing. What transmission do you have behind the 258?

I'm also in Florida, and I may have one for you. Where are you located?

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

8 starters? I know you need to fix the hole regardless but I'd be inclined to find the cause of why you are eating starters like that.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
beerbulance
1986 CJ7 

Hey guys, I am running the wimpy 5spd. right now. It does what I ask of it. To Max, I am in Jacksonville. Close to GA border. To Jeepwhore, yep 8 starters! No kidding. New flywheel too! The bellhousing bolts holes I guess just got to that point. I also was using Autozone starters, and taking them back once a week. Switched to Napa starters, and had 2 go bad on me, then I found the premium starter. Worked great till the pillhead mechanic stripped the bellhousing starter bolt hole.
So Max, if you have a b-housing and it isn't in bad shape.........I might be interested.
Holla!
Unread 06-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
jeepwhore

1984 CJ7 

Also make sure the alignment dowels and spacer plate between the bell housing and engine block are in place. If either were forgotten when you reinstalled the engine it could cause you similar problems.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
Unread 06-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #6
beerbulance
1986 CJ7 

Yep. Alignment dowels(2) in place on the engine block side, and aluminum spacer plate in remarkably good shape. I thinks the holes are just wallered out too much. And if a fellow doesn't spring the extra bucks for a premium starter.........the regular re-mans, I believe the bolt holes are done wore out in them too. Hell, one starter didn't even have the brass bushing in the nose cone! First start....and it broke the whole nose off. Again....Auto zone. Check, and double check their stuff. And then check it again.
Unread 06-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

My parents live on base at Mayport Naval Station, and I'm just north of West Palm Beach.

What transmission do you have? I have many bellhousings and I want to get you the right one.

We usually end up in Jacksonville ever so often, so I may be able to drop it off.

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 06-03-2013, 05:20 AM   #8
beerbulance
1986 CJ7 

Hey Max,
Thats funny, I am working in Neptune Beach today, and I frequently fish on the North side of Mayport off Heckscher Dr.! Small world!
Let me get under the beast later today, but I am pretty sure the trans is a T-5. I think that was the only 5spd. trans they offered in 1986.But let me make sure. You think you might have a good bellhousing? Marc
Unread 06-03-2013, 06:46 AM   #9
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I may very well have one.

If the shifter itself is curved, and it's a 1986 6 cylinder/5-speed, it's a T-5.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 06-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #10
beerbulance
1986 CJ7 

Max, yes shifter is curved. The 258 I-6 is an 1984. Found that out in the rebuild. But body is 1986.
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #11
Offroaddaddy
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
Also make sure the alignment dowels and spacer plate between the bell housing and engine block are in place. If either were forgotten when you reinstalled the engine it could cause you similar problems.
Does anyone have pics of what the alignment dowels look like? same with the spacer plate please.

thank you
Offroaddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
jeepwhore

1984 CJ7 

Spacer plate:

Alignment dowels:

Unread 06-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #13
Offroaddaddy
1986 CJ7 

Thanks JP

I believe the dowels on my setup are in the engine block....
Offroaddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #14
jeepwhore

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroaddaddy
Thanks JP

I believe the dowels on my setup are in the engine block....
Yup, that's where mine are as well

Unread 06-04-2013, 06:06 AM   #15
beerbulance
1986 CJ7 

And from what I understand, they have to be on the engine block side, otherwise trans alignment/installation problems will ensue.
Max, any luck with finding a bellhousing? I gotta get this thing running, if you don't have one let me know asap, and I'll choke down a new one. Thanks

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.