Bell Crank Outboard Firewall Mount Bent - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Bell Crank Outboard Firewall Mount Bent

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Nitro Gears now available in stock at JeepHutOnly 2 Days left to win $3,800 Jeep Parts!

Unread 01-21-2015, 11:22 PM   #1
hbuckholts
1983 CJ7 

Bell Crank Outboard Firewall Mount Bent

CJ7 258 T176 Not mine. Trying to help a close friend.

The outboard firewall mounting surface for the bell crank bracket is bent out and is not allowing proper alignment with the inboard bracket on the tub.
Has anyone seen this before?

Background:
Purchased a complete bell crank kit as the one on "Larzaras" was in a bind and nearly unusable. The old BC had no retainer clips and the angle between in and outboard was way out of alignment. Although I went through, and performed, all the incredible instruction here on installation, the new BC kit was of no help.

I found the transmission mount was mounted to the skid plate but not to the transmission. The transmission was completely loose, metal on metal, and the skid plate was completely mis-aligned. After many new parts and hours of reading and implementing your advice the transmission mount and skid plate are properly in place.

Back to the BC. I went through the entire procedure on installation again. Alignment still way off from in to out. Maybe my new brackets are bent. No, 90 degrees both. Then I noticed that the outboard bracket, when installed, was not 90 degrees with the firewall and was preventing connection to the inboard bracket without putting everything in a bind. The firewall mounting surface was bent causing the bracket to lean outboard.

Anyone seen this before?

With the state of the transmission/skid plate I can imagine violent things happening under load. Is it unreasonable to think the mounting surface being bent when the bell housing shifted under load?

Apologies for the documentary. Thank you for reading and any advice you might want to pass along.

hbuckholts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2015, 05:37 AM   #2
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

No doubt it occurred when the drivetrain was flopping around. The big question is how are you planning of repairing it? BFH?
Unread 01-22-2015, 07:29 AM   #3
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Swap to a hydro clutch. Problem solved.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2015, 09:07 AM   #4
hbuckholts
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackFabrication View Post
No doubt it occurred when the drivetrain was flopping around. The big question is how are you planning of repairing it? BFH?
My torch and welder are 200 miles away but I do have the hammer and I'm not afraid to use it. Discretion being the better part of valor. Thanks for the input
Unread 01-22-2015, 09:11 AM   #5
hbuckholts
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
Swap to a hydro clutch. Problem solved.
Friend is on a very limited budget. The mechanic, fabricator, and Jeep whisperer is working for coffee and cookies. Thanks for the input the thought has crossed my mind many times during this adventure.
Unread 01-22-2015, 05:11 PM   #6
dougoruss
1986 CJ7 

Does your friend's Jeep have a body lift?
dougoruss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2015, 10:15 AM   #7
hbuckholts
1983 CJ7 

Sorry for the delay 5 miles to WiFi or data cover for phone. No body lift. I did find the problem it was a good size dent outboard of the mount behind the filter canister. Applied BH and large beater bar. It's not perfect but serviceable. As my father says Boy are you gonna think this thing to death or you gonna fix it
Thank you all for input for a Jeep newb. With so much wrong I'm getting to know Lazarus and Jeeps more than I thought.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.