Beginner questions...general guidance needed please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Beginner questions...general guidance needed please

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 03-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
smarth
1980 CJ7 

Beginner questions...general guidance needed please

Hello!

I got a few general questions, that should be fairly easy to answer by more experienced CJer's, since I am still learning here eac hday about my first Jeep.

I pretty much threw all not needed cables and wires out from under the dash. Not sure what the previous owners all added to my CJ, but there was a bunch of stuff down there. Accidently, I cut the water temp gauge. Can I just reconnect the wire? How?

Also, I got some oily fluid gathering on the passengers side in the foot area on the floor. Cannot tell where it comes from. Sloooowly drips from the dash. Any ideas?

In the 4th gear my clutch seems to disengage once I push the pedal to the metall...not in any other gear...what can this be?

Last one: I was trying to be cheap and bought a 6 cyl. radiator for my Jeep instead of the matching 4 cyl. one. I thought it was a great idea until I realized the connectors are on the wrong side. The lower hose is the problem now since I need to connect 2 hoses to be long enough. Any idea where to buy a truly long flexible one?

Thank you so much!!!!

Sebastian

smarth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
BOISERUNNER
1979 CJ7 

Oil could be from a cut or cracked oil pressure guage line. What peddel is to the metal clutch or throttle?
BOISERUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Passenger side under the dash? If it smells sweet it's probably coolant and you have a leaking heater core.

Can't help with the others other than I'd worry about that bottom hose hitting the fan being so long.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
smarth
1980 CJ7 

will check. i might certainly have cut that too. thanks!
Unread 03-19-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
smarth
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
Passenger side under the dash? If it smells sweet it's probably coolant and you have a leaking heater core.

Can't help with the others other than I'd worry about that bottom hose hitting the fan being so long.
you're right. the fan is close to the hose...stupid mistake of mine.

it is oil so it seems. i probably cut the oil pressure line. another great move...well, that keeps me busy...
Unread 03-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #6
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Yep. If your oil pressure gauge and sender are not electric, that could do it. Bummer.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #7
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Congrats on your first Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarth View Post
.. Accidently, I cut the water temp gauge. Can I just reconnect the wire? How?
If it is a mechanical temp gauge, then the cut line cannot be repaired because it's a very thin copper tube with alcohol in it. You will have to install a whole new gauge and wire assembly.

If it's an electrical gauge, then yes, just repair the cut in the wire. To do that, I would strip off about 3/8" of the insulation from each end, solder them together, and cover ther repair with heat shrink tube. Be sure to slide the heat shrink tube on to the wire before you make the solder repair.

Quote:
Also, I got some oily fluid gathering on the passengers side in the foot area on the floor. Cannot tell where it comes from. Sloooowly drips from the dash. Any ideas?
Ditto what the other replies said. Use a white paper towel to soak up the fluid so you can see what color it is. If it's greenish, then it's coolant and the heater core is leaking. If it's brown or black, it's motor oil and the line to the oil pressure gauge is leaking. Those lines get brittle and will easily crack. You can replace the line with a cheap new one.

If you can't tell what the fluid is by the color (sometimes coolant will be dark if it's old), give it the smell test. Coolant will have a sweet smell. Oil smells smoky and oily. If you still can't tell, soak it up and put the paper towel in a cup of clean water. If the stuff floats to the surface, it's oil (or has oil in it).

Quote:
I was trying to be cheap and bought a 6 cyl. radiator for my Jeep instead of the matching 4 cyl. one. I thought it was a great idea until I realized the connectors are on the wrong side. The lower hose is the problem now since I need to connect 2 hoses to be long enough. Any idea where to buy a truly long flexible one?
Do the right thing and just get the correct radiator. The next owner of your Jeep will appreciate it.
Unread 03-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
smarth
1980 CJ7 

thanks!

thanks for all your responses! helped a lot!

Tags
gauge , leak , radiator hose

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.