Been reading the good book of JeepHammer! - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Been reading the good book of JeepHammer!

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 01-31-2011, 07:48 PM   #76
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppd1108 View Post
I had a quick question about the gauge of wire required to go from the battery negative terminal to the brass bolt or BUSS. I assume its a 10 gauge wire or something along those lines. When the 4 gauge wire is crimped into the battery terminal connector, does the 10 gauge wire get crimped into it as well or is there a special connector I have to use?
I crimped and soldered my 2 wires together...

1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2011, 12:59 PM   #77
KJNewbs
1983 CJ7 

Hoping this thread still gets a read from time to time....

I'm finally getting to this project and have a question. Has anyone used (or see a problem with using) one of the 4 threaded inserts that are already in place on the passenger side fender as the grounding bolt location? I'm not sure what was bolted in place with the factory set up, but these are not used in mine and seem like a good place.

I thought I'd get a 2.5" brass bolt, that matches this size/thread count, and thread it in from the underside, throw on a washer and bolt on the top and ground away.....

Thoughts?

1983 lime green CJ7 - 258 with DUI & Weber, Crane cam, 2" lift, MTs w/ BFGs

2010 2-Door, 6-Speed Black JK Sahara - Teraflex 3" Coil Lift with Front Lower and Rear Upper Flex Arms - Bilstein 5100 Shocks -JKS Front Adjustable Track Bar - Teraflex Front Knuckle Gussets - Rock Hard Oil Pan/Engine Skid - Rock Hard Transfer case skid - Rock Hard Evap relocation Kit - Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers - MBRP off-road exhaust - AEV Pintler Wheels - GoodYear MTR/K 35x12.5x17 - Detroit Track Loc Carrier up Front - Yukon 4.88 Gears - Cobra 75 CB with Cool Tech bracket - Die-Tech mirror relocation brackets
KJNewbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2011, 03:14 PM   #78
bentring
1976 CJ5 

Man, threads like this are why I keep having to bring the laptop cord outside for reading sessions. Great info in here!
bentring is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #79
lukenicwalker
1982 CJ7 

Incredible information. I am new to Jeeping, especially electrical work, and I am learning so much! Thanks to everyone (especially JH) for sharing all your knowledge and experiences!!!!
Unread 02-08-2013, 08:29 AM   #80
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
I agree that this ought to be a sticky, not only here but in ALL automotive/marine forums. Thanks so much for your insights JeepHammer!

Question, for smaller gauge wiring (stereo, amps, lights, etc) that welding wire is not gauged down to AWG is the 'go to' over SAE nicht var?
Pardon my ignorance, over the years I've been using whatever wiring was at hand, and while failures have been at a minimum, I feel that when I'm wiring up new gear or replacing/upgrading, I'd like to stick with the idiom in the original posts.
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #81
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Hi JeepHammer and all,
I'm sorry to bother your with this and I'm sure you're getting innundated with questions but I hope you'll have time for this one. From the thread Basic Wiring 101;

THIS IS A 'FACTORY CRIMP' Tool, A 'Cheap' version from 'Radio Shack', and it will reproduce the factor crimps on connectors with 'Tails' that dig into both the wire and the insulation.

It's REALLY handy for a guy building a harness from scratch that DOES NOT want those big, ugly, failure prone crimps from the color coded insulated terminals everyone is so fond of...

These Jaws provide that 'Factory Crimp' that we are looking for"

Despite working in a college town, this damm place is a consumer desert when it comes to things like this. I'm doing a great deal of wiring and I like the idea of 'factory style crimps' but getting the tool locally is a real challenge. I found one made by Titan (made in Taiwan) that seems a little cheesy, stopped by the Rat Shack and, being more of a phone store than the former electrical/electronics store (that was managed by a veteran Navy electrician) and the staff had no idea of what I was talking about. Would anyone have a Radio Shack pn. for those crimpers? Thanks a heap and a lift of the lynch lid.

Gus
Unread 02-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #82
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Well nutz, was hoping for anyone's response by now as there's an EBay auction for the last one of these and I think the jaws are what I'm after, I hope. Had to trip the trgger on this 'cause they were going fast and this was the en of the line. No one in this consumer desert even remotely had one even similar to this one.

Unread 11-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #83
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbogus View Post
I agree that this ought to be a sticky, not only here but in ALL automotive/marine forums. Thanks so much for your insights JeepHammer!
Marine, especially salt water marine, is an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT ANIMAL that automotive wiring...
With marine wiring, you have to consider the ever present danger of fuel vapors (Fire/Explosions) and the corrosive effects of salt water.

Where I closer to the ocean, and building a Jeep, The rules would be RADICALLY DIFFERENT!

UNCOATED COPPER IN SALT WATER IS DEAD IN HOURS. NO EXCEPTIONS.
Just salt air can ruin a perfectly good land locked wiring job in days.

COATED or 'TINNED' wire is MANDATORY,
So are weather proof terminals, drip loops, explosion proof junction boxes, ect.
My boat days were frustrating to say the least, since I *Thought* I had a grip on wiring...
Entirely new learning process and a STEEP LEARNING CURVE since if it fails, you are ALWAYS out to sea somewhere... Hard to 'Walk Home' from there without getting REALLY WET!
I can see why the guys that do a lot of marine wiring that LIVES use tinned wire and gold plated terminals for about everything...

Quote:
Question, for smaller gauge wiring (stereo, amps, lights, etc) that welding wire is not gauged down to AWG is the 'go to' over SAE nicht var?
Pardon my ignorance, over the years I've been using whatever wiring was at hand, and while failures have been at a minimum, I feel that when I'm wiring up new gear or replacing/upgrading, I'd like to stick with the idiom in the original posts.
SAE and AWG are the same thing, more or less,
Both SAE and AWG were both based on the Brown & Sharp scales done before there was an SAE or AWG standard.

The biggest difference in SAE is the insulation. Automotive Insulation tends to be a little more geared to temperature than longevity, and later versions tend to melt rather than burn furiously like our older CJ wiring will do.

AWG wire comes in an 'Automotive' insulation jacket, but AWG Automotive (What you buy at most parts stores) tends to be a little better insulation if it's US Made,
If it's 'China' made, or anywhere else, the wire usually won't live up to AWG or SAE standards, and it's a crap shoot on insulation.
Since they don't have to have product liability insurance in the US, they don't really care if it lives or not.

When you wire radios or what ever, DO NOT use smaller gauge wire than is in the accessory it's self.
The longer the wire run, the larger the wire needs to be to feed the accessory. Smaller gauge wire will not deliver, and long runs build up resistance, so they won't deliver even at the same size.
This usually isn't a problem in something the size of a Jeep, but a truck or bus and you can run out of current pretty easy...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #84
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

You can definitely see the effects of living near the ocean and in a region where the roads are chemically treated in the winter. There is a brine solution that roads are often pre-treated with. Add in the salt and calcium chloride (I think that is what they use) and sometimes a recent wiring "fix" won't last more than a week or two. This will be my first winter driving a CJ, but my experiences with every other vehicle tell the tale.

Do you give the Jeep wave at night when they can't see you?
EgulAye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2013, 10:50 PM   #85
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

JeepHammer, great to hear from you! Hope all is well...

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2013, 11:55 PM   #86
mscout118
1983 CJ7 

Do you think a jeep that was ordered from the factory to be used by the USFS would have dedicated grounds?

Duke
mscout118 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #87
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

I'm thinking that anything ordered by the Gov't is low bid and with minimal options. So I'm duboius that they would've gone the extra mile on grounds. This bears out true when I was in the Marines, the base's staff car was a Ford Maveric with 3 on the tree, radio delete and a host of other spartanized MIA accutruments... and would've had milk crates for seats if they could've gotten away with it.
Unread 11-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #88
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Thanks again for your insights JH! Glad to see you're still alive! Since I've last seen you on here I've gone to larger gauge wiring where ever possible and the fan upgrade and the graft of the Ford PDB, grounding bus bar, and all of the lighting wiring have come out well on 'Black Betty', I couldn't be happier with how it all turned out. Now on to the ream main seal.......
Unread 11-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #89
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Glad to hear it's working for you guys...
Got the usual bunch still arguing I have no idea what I'm doing, (and they 'Invented' grounding, like Al Gore invented the internet), but it's all good!

Just glad to be alive, and FINALLY have some time to post again!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 10:37 PM   #90
mscout118
1983 CJ7 

image.jpgThe reason I asked is because I read the military units were ordered with dedicated grounds. So I was curious if the USFS my have ordered on the same contract bid. Can anyone see the pic well enough to identify if there are any dedicated grounds?

Duke
mscout118 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.