Beeding the brakes on a 63 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Beeding the brakes on a 63

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-08-2014, 10:11 PM   #1
Unretarded

1963 CJ5 

Beeding the brakes on a 63

Silly question....but, where do you add fluid to the brake system as there appears to be no reservoir on the master cylinder....

I plan to bleed the brakes after some work......but have been unable to locate a place to add fluid......brakes have been working fine and I figured I could hunt it down when needed......

Thanks

It is gunna cost more and take longer than you thought...plan ahead!
Unretarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2014, 12:40 AM   #2
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

It has to be attached to, or part of, the brake master cylinder. What does your master cylinder look like, can you post a picture?
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2014, 05:29 AM   #3
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

It has been years since I've worked on an early-Cj5, but the master included a small built-on reservoir. They had an odd bolt on the top that you had to remove to top-off.

My assumption is the small reservoir is due to space issues. The heater-core sits where most cars have the master/reservoir. So on the early CJ5s, the master is down low, attached to the frame.

On a related note, I've always had great success using the gravity method... but with such a low master, I wonder if thats even possible?

Edit: Here is a picture. Does yours look like this?
hp_lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2014, 01:56 PM   #4
Unretarded

1963 CJ5 

Yes, that it is it.....can not see that from the bottom with the tub on......apparetly that is what the round plate in the drivers side floorboard I just monsterlinered over...OOoopppss.

Thanks!

It is gunna cost more and take longer than you thought...plan ahead!
Unretarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2014, 08:17 PM   #5
DanStew
1963 M-38 

Yup the MC is accessible through the little round plate. Get a long funnel or it will be a PAIN IN THE ARSE to get fluid in there. If you got the metal cap, clean it up, you cant get the metal ones anymore. The rebuild MC comes with plastic caps.
DanStew is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.