Bedliner removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Bedliner removal

Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 05-01-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
kakai81
1985 CJ7 

Bedliner removal

I have a cheap bedliner installed from the PO. They didn't do any prep work, just rolled or sprayed the liner on. The liner is coming up in many spots and I'm removing it as it comes up It looks like crap and it holds water under the bubbled up spots. I'm afraid it will cause rust. The paint is still good under the bedliner. Does anyone know a way to remove the old bedliner without harming the paint underneath? If not, I can put a new bedliner coat in, but I still have to remove the old one and would rather not sandblast. What will remove this old junk?

kakai81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 04:38 AM   #2
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Heat and scraping is the only way and its going to be a lot of work.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 07:27 AM   #3
CajunCJ
1985 CJ7 

I found a grinder with a wire wheel worked the best for me and yes it's going to be a lot of work. Good luck
CajunCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 07:27 AM   #4
CrazyHorse6
1979 CJ7 

Brake fluid - works real well - however that will certainly take out the paint as well. There are lots of strippers that will melt the liner into mush but none that I know of that will take out the liner and leave the paint. Good luck

Are you military or former military? Take a look at militaryjeepers.com!
CrazyHorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
nitor
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunCJ View Post
I found a grinder with a wire wheel worked the best for me and yes it's going to be a lot of work. Good luck
I've installed several bed liners in both truck beds and in Jeep tubs. Once I got a speck of bedliner on the outside of the bed. I called the manufacturer of the brand of bedliner I was using. They said that stuff is designed to not come off. They also said they didn't know of any chemical that would remove it. I used SEM brand bedliner, SEM Products - Catalog
I've also patched several bedliners. I know a friend that works in a body shop, and I patched a couple of bedliners on trucks that were fixed in his shop. Anyway, the only way I've found to remove the stuff is to take a wire wheel on a grinder or something similar to remove it. Of course this takes the paint off. If you want to have the liner on, you need to prep it correctly, and this means make sure you rough up what's going to be under it, whether that's bare metal or scuffed up paint. If you just apply it to the existing paint, without roughing it, it has nothing to stick to. That's why the PO's job is failing.

Jim

1985 CJ7
nitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #6
kakai81
1985 CJ7 

I've rolled on bedliners before and done the prep work. Those came out looking good and they've lasted. I think the po just wanted to get it over with, which ends up being a pain in my butt. As for the heat idea, that's how lots of the liner has come already. Whenever the floorpan gets hot some peels up.

CrazyHorse6, do you know the name of any of those melting strippers? I would have liked to protect the goodpaint underneath, but if I can't, I'll just reinstall the bedliner the right way.
kakai81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #7
83VACJ7
1982 CJ7 

Go to a gourmet cooking store and see if you can find a cleaning tool for sandstone cooking trays. It should be made of plastic or teflon. They are designed to avoid scratching the pan. That with moderate heat and an A** ton of work may be the ticket
83VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 04:30 PM   #8
Military Jeeper
1979 CJ5 

Jasper Paint Removal is what I used to remove the 3M bedliner on my Jeep.........needless to say it will remove your paint in addition to the liner. To be VERY honest, there is NO easy way to remove bedliner aside from media blasting it out (soda, glass, sand). Good Luck.
Jason "MJ" - 79 CJ-5 | SOA/HI-STEER | 304/T18A/D20 w/3:1 TeraLow | Holley Avenger Carb | Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold | DUI Distributor | K&N Filter | Centerforce 2 Clutch | Waggy D44's | 4.11's | ARB's | Hydroboost | HAD Shafts | 35 Toyo MT's|
Military Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.