Bedliner for frame paint - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Bedliner for frame paint

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Yukon Hardcore Locking hubs Dana 44!! CCOR 706-207-4140

Unread 05-28-2010, 09:43 PM   #46
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

With the POR kit, I don't think you really need the alcohol. It can't hurt but I'm not sure you need it. Once all the repairs are done to the frame just hit the flash rust with a quick wire wheel if you want to. Wash it really good with a scrubby sponge and the Marine Clean diluted 4:1 with the hottest water you can stand(I did it twice). That's 4 parts water to 1 part Marine Clean. That stuff is the best cleaner/degreaser I have ever seen! You don't need to use it at full strength. Once it is clean, rinse it off, dry it with a towel then coat and soak with the Metal Ready. Watch where the Metal Ready drips off the frame. Have a few catch pans set up to collect what drips off and return it back to the spray bottle. You have to spray it down 3-4 times to keep it wet so you can go through it fast. It is reusable and fairly expensive so it is worth it to try and collect and reuse as much as you can, IMHO. Once it has soaked for 30~45 minutes rinse it and let it dry. It will turn a golden brown color. If there is any white chalky substance anywhere just wipe it with a clean dry towel. After that you are ready to apply the paint. The Metal Ready etches the metal and leaves a zinc-phosphate coating that I don't think you would want to wash off with the denatured alcohol.

Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2010, 10:15 PM   #47
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
With the POR kit, I don't think you really need the alcohol. It can't hurt but I'm not sure you need it. Once all the repairs are done to the frame just hit the flash rust with a quick wire wheel if you want to. Wash it really good with a scrubby sponge and the Marine Clean diluted 4:1 with the hottest water you can stand(I did it twice). That's 4 parts water to 1 part Marine Clean. That stuff is the best cleaner/degreaser I have ever seen! You don't need to use it at full strength. Once it is clean, rinse it off, dry it with a towel then coat and soak with the Metal Ready. Watch where the Metal Ready drips off the frame. Have a few catch pans set up to collect what drips off and return it back to the spray bottle. You have to spray it down 3-4 times to keep it wet so you can go through it fast. It is reusable and fairly expensive so it is worth it to try and collect and reuse as much as you can, IMHO. Once it has soaked for 30~45 minutes rinse it and let it dry. It will turn a golden brown color. If there is any white chalky substance anywhere just wipe it with a clean dry towel. After that you are ready to apply the paint. The Metal Ready etches the metal and leaves a zinc-phosphate coating that I don't think you would want to wash off with the denatured alcohol.
Mike- Thanks. I will follow your directions carefully. I am a little gunshy after this whole experience! Does the Metal Ready work like Ospho? I wonder if they are the same thing??

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2010, 10:18 PM   #48
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren Gun View Post
Sorry, haven't read the whole post, but I used Rustoleum bedliner and Rusty Metal primer to finish my '53 CJ3-B's frame and it looks fine. HTH

Your frames looks better than mine! Nice, flat and smooth finish. I have heard good things about the Rustoleum materials, besides them being around forever. Have you reassembled yet? Thanks for the pics.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 05-28-2010, 10:27 PM   #49
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Does the Metal Ready work like Ospho? I wonder if they are the same thing??
They both have phosphoric acid as their main ingredient so they are obviously similar but I don't see zinc phosphate on the Ospho MSDS sheet.

Also, make sure that frame is bone dry before you apply the POR. Wait overnight after cleaning or dry it and use a hair dryer or some other portable heater.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2010, 10:33 PM   #50
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
They both have phosphoric acid as their main ingredient so they are obviously similar but I don't see zinc phosphate on the Ospho MSDS sheet.

Also, make sure that frame is bone dry before you apply the POR. Wait overnight after cleaning or dry it and use a hair dryer or some other portable heater.
Good stuff! Thanks for that!!

Unread 05-29-2010, 05:43 AM   #51
Bren Gun
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Your frames looks better than mine! Nice, flat and smooth finish. I have heard good things about the Rustoleum materials, besides them being around forever. Have you reassembled yet? Thanks for the pics.
No problem, it's getting there, but is a huge basket case right now sitting around the barn. Lots to do, good luck with yours too!
www.this-old-jeep.com
Bren Gun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #52
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

You know how it goes... never at the speed that you expect, and there's ALWAYS something gets in the way of JEEP WORK! I want this done! I want the axles back under it! I want the drivetrain back in the frame! I want my shop cleaned up! I want my floor space back! It has been awhile since we got the frame stripped. I still have not picked up replacement 3/16 steel to make the patches. My neighbor, who will do the welding, is sitting on "G", and waiting on "O", so it's my fault. Or call it my WIFE's fault... since I don't want to except the repsonsibility of being slow! I know you guys are saying the surface rust, or flash rust, is not a big deal, but I'm nervous! I took a wire wheel to half of the frame and had to stop... it's 100 humid degrees here... will finish it later this evening. You can see in the first pic what I am knocking off. The other pics are for your viewing pleasure... one of them showing the significant rot outlined by a Sharpie. You SURE this is nothing to worry about?? Shouldn't I spray it down with rust converter?

Please put an old man at ease!!
img_3027.jpg   img_3030.jpg   img_3032.jpg   img_3033.jpg  

Unread 07-31-2010, 10:12 AM   #53
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

For anyone who may be interested in following this build, specifically frame repair, it is picked up in this thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/

Unread 07-31-2010, 12:23 PM   #54
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

Here is a link to the cheapest place I have found to buy U-pol Raptor. I have orderd 7 kits from them and get excellent shipping and service.

U-Pol Raptor Truck Bed Liner Kit - TP Tools & Equipment
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2010, 07:37 AM   #55
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Slight necropost here, but I'd POR right over that surface rust, if you haven't already.
POR stand for
Paint
Over
Rust.

They specifically state that you can and should paint right over light rust. Helps the POR "grab" better.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2010, 04:34 PM   #56
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
Slight necropost here, but I'd POR right over that surface rust, if you haven't already.
POR stand for
Paint
Over
Rust.

They specifically state that you can and should paint right over light rust. Helps the POR "grab" better.
Pacfan... you're right. If I had it to do again, I would. But I second-guessed myself, out-thought it... whatever! If I EVER do another frame, I will use the POR kit through the whole process... which means the 7 will probably get it once we finish the 5.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.