Bedliner for frame paint - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Bedliner for frame paint

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 05-22-2010, 10:15 PM   #31
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet44 View Post
If you have a compressor, a needle scaler works great for the nooks and crannies too. I learned the same way you did on my first experience with bedliner-poor prep. And mine was peeling off in strips as well.
I don't have a needle gun, but I have this nifty set of air tools my wife bought some years back. I have never used the chisel! The chisel has an assortment of tips, one being a single point, used like a scaler. This, and the flat edge, work well inside the body mount brackets and the joints where metals meet.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2010, 08:03 AM   #32
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

After looking at the frame this morning, everything that was cleaned down to bare metal has a layer of fine surface rust. I ordered a POR-15 kit off Ebay this morning. The kit includes the Marine Clean, Metal ready, and a quart of POR-15. It should be more than enough to do a frame. I'll use black implement paint for a topcoat.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 05-24-2010, 08:26 PM   #33
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I must not be living right! While grinding away I found 3 different cracks, small and easy to fix, but cracks still. The most significant problem that I found is frame rot at the back of the frame, under the front spring mount. The rot is right in the frame weld. Guess I'll have to remove the spring mount. What are my options? Do I grind the rivets down, fix the rot and weld the mount back on?? Can't believe I almost put this thing back together...

Unread 05-24-2010, 09:15 PM   #34
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I must not be living right! While grinding away I found 3 different cracks, small and easy to fix, but cracks still. The most significant problem that I found is frame rot at the back of the frame, under the front spring mount. The rot is right in the frame weld. Guess I'll have to remove the spring mount. What are my options? Do I grind the rivets down, fix the rot and weld the mount back on?? Can't believe I almost put this thing back together...
Hey, looks like it worked out for the best.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2010, 10:20 PM   #35
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
Hey, looks like it worked out for the best.
Yes... God is Good!

Unread 05-24-2010, 10:46 PM   #36
QuickCj

I read/skimmed all of the previous post, a lot of good advice but ill just go ahead and give you my 2 cents on some of the topics.

Herculiner is a decent product, but surely not the greatest. I can understand the use of it if you dont have a bunch of money to spend. But if you do, go big. And by that, I mean go Line-x. I can get you the chemical breakdown and differences if you would like. Let me know.

Assuming you are going with herculiner. Get the surface down to the bare metal, like you did with sandblasting. Then you want to remove all of the dust, however you want. Then you need to clean the surface. This also scuffs the surface a little bit. I suggest denatured alcohol, I use it everyday.

To make your life easy. Take all the bolts and screws that you can and put them in the frames holes in which they belong. Be sure to apply white lithium grease to the head and threads before hand. This way when you are done spraying you can pull them out and have perfect threads. Not to mention the liner will come right off your bolts. Then soak the bolts in alcohol to remove grease.

That light rust you mentioned is not a big deal but if you can avoid it then do. Otherwise, you won't see it affect that frame in your or your sons lifetime.

Let me know if you have any other questions
QuickCj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2010, 10:56 PM   #37
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickCj View Post
I read/skimmed all of the previous post, a lot of good advice but ill just go ahead and give you my 2 cents on some of the topics.

Herculiner is a decent product, but surely not the greatest. I can understand the use of it if you dont have a bunch of money to spend. But if you do, go big. And by that, I mean go Line-x. I can get you the chemical breakdown and differences if you would like. Let me know.

Assuming you are going with herculiner. Get the surface down to the bare metal, like you did with sandblasting. Then you want to remove all of the dust, however you want. Then you need to clean the surface. This also scuffs the surface a little bit. I suggest denatured alcohol, I use it everyday.

To make your life easy. Take all the bolts and screws that you can and put them in the frames holes in which they belong. Be sure to apply white lithium grease to the head and threads before hand. This way when you are done spraying you can pull them out and have perfect threads. Not to mention the liner will come right off your bolts. Then soak the bolts in alcohol to remove grease.

That light rust you mentioned is not a big deal but if you can avoid it then do. Otherwise, you won't see it affect that frame in your or your sons lifetime.

Let me know if you have any other questions
Thanks QuickCJ- I'm not going back with a bedliner material for a frame coating this time. I am going to coat it with the POR-15. I plan to use some low gloss black implement paint (I have some already) for a topcoat.

Where could I find denatured alcohol without ordering? I live in a very small community. Nearest "big" city is an hour away. Am I cleaning the surface with the alcohol? How does it scuff... chemical reaction? Or should I be cleaning with a wire wheel and alcohol? I don't want to blow anything up!

Thanks for your input.

Unread 05-25-2010, 02:06 PM   #38
QuickCj

You should be able to find it at any local hardware store. You just need to spray it on the vehicle and wipe away. It will evaporate almost immediately, so do sections at a time. Do this right before you treat, paint, bedliner, whatever it may be. You'll be happy with the results.
QuickCj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2010, 09:30 AM   #39
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I should finish grinding the frame today. Hopefully, my buddy will be able to fire up his welder this weekend, and we can get the bad places patched. I have everything I need to git 'er done, but I am limited by my own lack of skills... that's killing me! My POR-15 kit arrived, ordered from Ebay. The purchase was right-on. The Vendor was prompt. I recommend the POR-15 Outlet.
img_3016.jpg  

Unread 05-28-2010, 04:29 PM   #40
paraman72
1985 CJ7 

Just want to give you an FYI I do recall some people having problems getting regular paint to adhere to the POR-15. Its a good product and I am using it too. But I have not experienced it myself just in what I have read...
Good Luck
Unread 05-28-2010, 06:29 PM   #41
neals80
1980 CJ7 

Por is nasty stuff....Raptor for $99 and you would have been done with minimal prep after blasting...looks good and for the $99 has the gun with it...best of luck with the Por..nice stuff but nasty...

I agree I just Base/clear coated my frame...looks nice protected and mud and dirt wash off.....

IF I WANTED A HUMMER I WOULD HAVE CALLED YOUR GIRLFRIEND!!
neals80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2010, 07:16 PM   #42
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraman72 View Post
Just want to give you an FYI I do recall some people having problems getting regular paint to adhere to the POR-15. Its a good product and I am using it too. But I have not experienced it myself just in what I have read...
Good Luck
I appreciate the heads-up. I will seek good info before I paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neals80 View Post
Por is nasty stuff....Raptor for $99 and you would have been done with minimal prep after blasting...looks good and for the $99 has the gun with it...best of luck with the Por..nice stuff but nasty...

I agree I just Base/clear coated my frame...looks nice protected and mud and dirt wash off.....
I plan to use the Raptor on the tub... didn't think about it for the frame.

More bad news for me... another crack found. Da**! It's getting depressing. My buddy had a Larynectomy awhile back, and had a procedure done today. He will probably not be in a welding mood for a week or so. Should I be concerned about the surface rust that has formed on the bare metal? If so, how should I prevent it until coating the frame.

Picked up a gallon of denatured alcohol today from Lowe's... $16.

Unread 05-28-2010, 08:13 PM   #43
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Surface rust is fine. Don't sweat it.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #44
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
Surface rust is fine. Don't sweat it.
Thanks Pac.

I have also found that nothing works as well at removing the old bedliner as the air chisel. It pops the bedliner and primer coat right off, with no effort from me. I don't know if it is because of poor adhesion, or what. I run it at 40-45 PSI to keep the tip out of the metal. Wear ear plugs and eye protection.

Unread 05-28-2010, 10:20 PM   #45
Bren Gun
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry, haven't read the whole post, but I used Rustoleum bedliner and Rusty Metal primer to finish my '53 CJ3-B's frame and it looks fine. HTH

www.this-old-jeep.com
Bren Gun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.