Bearing cap bolts. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Bearing cap bolts.

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBest deals on Yukon Gears at JeepHut.comNeed Ace Engineering products? JeepHut has you covered.

Unread 03-29-2010, 03:10 PM   #1
Genie 05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Bearing cap bolts.

I'm replacing the rear main seal on my 81 CJ-7 and found 2 bolts and the broken off heads in the bottom of the oil pan. There was no other apparent damage so I don't know if the previous owner left them there as a present or what. The dealer said he needs a 707 or 352 # to order one. The only # on the head of the bolt is M 9. Anyone got any ideas as to which # goes with an 81, and maybe an alternate source for the bolts?

Genie 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

1) Have you checked all fourteen main bearing cap screws to see if any are missing heads? Got all fourteen screws in place? You didn't mention that.

2) Verify the threads on the screws - I'm almost willing to bet they're 1/2"-13. The 242ci (seven-main, two-bolt caps as well) uses what appear to be standard SAE8 capscrews for the main caps, and it has higher torque and power output figures. If SAE8 is good for that, it will be fine for your 258 (if, on the very off chance it's ISO, use ISO PC 10.9 or better.)

I'm inclined to think that the "M9" is a manufacturer's mark - is it in the centre of the head? Is there a series of "hash marks" around the head - one pointing to each corner? Add two to the count of "hash marks" - that's the SAE strength grade (six marks = SAE8. Three marks = SAE5. No marks = SAE2.)

If you get confused, submit a decent picture of the screw heads (not on a cellphone camera, unless that's really all you have and it takes a decent pic with good detail...) and we'll sort out you some more.
Unread 03-29-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
Genie 05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I checked all 14 and the 2 that were missing were the ones in the oil pan. The other 12 are in place. Sorry for the lack of info. I can't see how the heads could get sheared off and the rest of the bolt fell down in the pan. There are no marks on the bolt head other than the M 9. There are 15 threads on the bolt. I'll work on the picture. It may be difficult with my current system.
Genie 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 07:06 PM   #4
nelli82669
1983 CJ7 

According to the 81-86 CJ7 parts manual, the part number is either J400 6591 if the bolt is 2.75" long or J400 6948 if the bolt is 2.87" long. My 83 has the 2.87" x 1/2"-13.
nelli82669 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.