Bead locks??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Bead locks???

Disc Brake Kits from ECGSECGS JK Dana 60 Bolt In Rear DiffGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 08-15-2009, 11:52 PM   #1
bobby0872r
1979 CJ5 

Bead locks???

Why are bead locks not DOT legal.... i have ran 30 psi in my q78-lt15s and it beats the crap out of you it seams to ride better 12 psi in front 15 psi in the back<<<<<<< on this i know its not a luxury car. i drive it on the streets alot more than offroad but am worried about popping a bead any opinions..
thank yall

bobby0872r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 03:51 AM   #2
adamsclarke

Not sure I understand your question? Q78s ride like crap on the road, no matter what. I wouldn;t run down the road with them at 12 psi whether I was running beadlocks or not. The minimum air I would use is what every gets you right at the full tread contact patch.
You won;t loose a bead driving around town. Run beadlocks on the street. Technically they are legal, but once you cut the outter lip off the wheel you void the DOT rating. Wheels that are designed from the start to be a beadlock like the walkers, sypders, rock montsers etc are plenty safe, ust not recommended for road use because they don;t want to pay the $$$$$$$ for DOT approval. It relys too much on users understanding that they must keep the rings torqued.....so that's why the DOT doesn;t like them.

You'd likely never get a ticket for running beadlocks.....and you can always say they are fake

But get a better tire if its driven more on the street. BFGs, Iroks etc ride great on the street.
adamsclarke is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.