BDS YJ Springs arrived... should they look like this? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 04-12-2016, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
jpapon

BDS YJ Springs arrived... should they look like this?

Hey guys,

My old springs were riding pretty rough, so I decided to pull the trigger and install BDS YJ springs on my CJ. I bought them from ok4wd, and while the price was good (and shipping was free...) I have to say I'm a little disappointed in the condition they arrived in. I mean, they almost look refurbished, and not even well refurbished.

Just wanted to check in to see if other people's BDS springs arrived in similar condition. Is it normal for the paint to be already half flaked off brand new springs? Is it normal for the bolts going through the center of the leaves to all be hacked off at different lengths? You can clearly see in the pic that one isn't cut - it's an inch longer than the other three!

Just a little annoyed, and wondering if I should contact BDS to complain. If it's normal... well then I'll just shut up.

Anyway, assuming I keep them and install, I'll be sure to post pics here as the install progresses.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0611.jpg   IMG_0612.jpg   IMG_0614.jpg   IMG_0616.jpg   IMG_0613.jpg  

IMG_0615.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-12-2016, 09:54 AM
jeep_boy02
1980 CJ7 

Garage
Those do look horrible! All kinds of "globby" on the paint and it look like where the paint pooled up is where its flaking too. I would for sure look into it, I wouldn't put those on my CJ unless I spent time cleaning them up and then I'd be irate that I had to clean and paint new parts.

Hopefully with their "no BS" warranty they will swap you out even if they're not from an authorized dealer.
post #3 of 19 Old 04-12-2016, 10:24 AM
skizriz
1978 CJ7 

That's how mine looked. I put them on and proceeded to bash them off of rocks. They work fine, gloppy paint and all.
post #4 of 19 Old 04-12-2016, 10:30 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Looks about like all of the springs I have ever received from anywhere. They are a spring company, not a paint and body place. Trim up the center pins, pound in some bushings and go enjoy your new springs.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #5 of 19 Old 04-12-2016, 10:36 AM
cJAY904
1984 CJ7 

Looks like the ones I bought from them many years ago. The only paint that didnt flake off was where it said product of Canada.
post #6 of 19 Old 04-12-2016, 11:41 AM
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Looks normal... they will start to rust as soon as you mount them anyway, so don't stress. I usually end up replacing the center bolt when adding shims so doesn't bother me how they get cut at the factory.

When I was younger, I thought I was Don Quixote... turns out I'm just another donkey-hootie.
post #7 of 19 Old 04-12-2016, 11:44 AM
dirtdudeaz
1983 CJ7 

I agree...Mine looked similar. It'd be nice for them to be pretty looking, but a few trips with rocks or mud, and it doesn't matter. Unless you were trying to enter a car show and wanted it to be shiny and perfect, you could worry about it, otherwise no one really looks at the cosmetics of springs. Run 'em and enjoy!
post #8 of 19 Old 04-12-2016, 12:44 PM
AugustNM
1984 CJ7 

For reference: I received mine last week, ordered directly from BDS and sent via freight. They came strapped to a pallet with the rest of the kit. The paint is definitely globby but they aren't too chipped up.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/attac...812201&thumb=1
post #9 of 19 Old 04-12-2016, 12:59 PM
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

Garage
Unfortunately, that is how leaf springs are shipped; no packaging, no protection.

I received my Old Man Emu springs about a month ago. They were rather beat up/chipped up as well. I was annoyed at first as well but soon got over it. I will clean mine up a bit, do a little paint touch-up, and I then I think I'm going to coat them in boiled linseed oil for a little protection.

Oh, and mine were shipped directly from ARB.

post #10 of 19 Old 04-12-2016, 01:21 PM
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Every set of leafs that are freight shipped look just like that. You can touch them up if it bothers you, but don't feel like you got poor quality. That's 'industry standard', and has been for decades.

Hoss

"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."
post #11 of 19 Old 04-12-2016, 05:22 PM
60Bubba

1983 CJ7 

My OME springs weren't much better, though they did have the full centering pin; not sure what that's all about. I also bashed the crap out of mine within a few weeks, so I didn't worry much about it.

Rust-free 1983 CJ-7. 4.0L, T-5, OME YJ springs, frame-off resto in 2014. Rhino Liner on all non-painted surfaces and 2012 Jeep Cosmos Blue paint.
post #12 of 19 Old 04-13-2016, 05:01 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I guess I got lucky. My OME springs arrived in great shape. No scratches. No globby paint. No hacked centering pins. Even the stickers were whole and unscathed.

I wouldn't accept the BDS product pictured above.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
LiftKit.jpg  
post #13 of 19 Old 04-13-2016, 09:04 AM
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
I guess I got lucky. My OME springs arrived in great shape. No scratches. No globby paint. No hacked centering pins. Even the stickers were whole and unscathed.

I wouldn't accept the BDS product pictured above.

Matt
Yes, you got lucky Matt, or maybe the OME dealer's took better care of their shipments when you bought yours - 5 years or so ago? When I spoke with both ARB, and Rocky Road, they both told me that "this is just how they are shipped". They pretty much implied that there is no other option and we should expect them to be banged up. They said that they get a lot of complaints about this.

post #14 of 19 Old 04-13-2016, 09:51 AM
JeepdaddyRC
1983 CJ5 

I ordered some standard ride height replacement springs about a year ago. Shipped without packaging and arrived a little dinged. Not as nice as Matt's, but not as beat-up as your BDS.
post #15 of 19 Old 04-13-2016, 10:05 AM
CrustySprings
1985 CJ7 

When my Black Diamond 3" springs arrived, they looked like UPS dragged them behind the truck. I wanted to exchange them but apparently the vendor didn't care and wouldn't help me. I've been very disappointed with the BD springs from the get go.

You could just shoot some spray paint on your new springs and they will be fine. After a few trips off-roading, they will be dirty anyway.

258 cu. inch six, Team Rush ignition upgrade, T5, Dana 300, Superwinch lockouts, Black Diamond 3" suspension lift, greasable shackles, poly bushings, JKS quick discos, 32x11.50x15 Cooper STT's, American Racing 23 15x8 alloys, Uniden Pro 520XL CB radio, 2' adjustable tip Firestick antenna, Viair 460 onboard air system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.