Bds,RE,OME yj Sua on my CJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Bds,RE,OME yj Sua on my CJ?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 07-01-2013, 01:10 AM   #1
nacheswheelin
1960 CJ5 

Bds,RE,OME yj Sua on my CJ?

I am getting ready to build a new frame, a copy of the one out of Jp. I should not have that much build time into it and since my old springs are getting pretty bad, I am going to replace them. At first I thought I would do a coil over until I realized that I don't want to run bigger than 35 inch tires so I do not really need it. I don't want SOA because I heard the ride quality is a lot worse than SUA so I decided to go with a good set of springs SUA for a YJ. Now I just don't know which would fit my needs best? I will be driving on the road about 45% of the time and probably 20% of that will be highway because top speed is only about 55. The rest will be very difficult trails lots of mud tree roots and slick rock, some snow wheeling and also some cruises up and down two lane roads. Basically I would prefer the best YJ springs for off-road durability and flex that still offer a safe ride down the highway. Price is always taken into consideration but I understand that I will get what I pay for. I am not going to run sway bars and will probably run bilstien shocks after I get my measurements when finished.
I currently run waggy axles shortened to 62 inches wms
I do have lockers front and rear so going around corners in the winter might be questionable
Do I want to buy the YJ lift kit If not is there a specific year for springs? and do I still want to run a shackle reversal?
Not looking for the magic answer but some advice from people who have done this swap or know somebody that has.

nacheswheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 01:24 AM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

As a Yj guy, the BDS 004500 springs are amazing. They net the Yj about 5" of lift and ride like a dream. The no questions asked warranty is nice too.
Unread 07-01-2013, 01:31 AM   #3
nacheswheelin
1960 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
As a Yj guy, the BDS 004500 springs are amazing. They net the Yj about 5" of lift and ride like a dream. The no questions asked warranty is nice too.
Thanks for the response I will look into them, warranties are always better with no questions asked.
Unread 07-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
nacheswheelin
1960 CJ5 

I am getting ready to order today, anyone else have input?
Unread 07-01-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
capt205
1983 CJ7 

Just recently completed the RE4.5 lift. I'm happy with it. The kit comes with everything you need. I elected to leave off the transfer case drop, and did the double carden shafts.

Also have the 1" Daystar body lift. Did that when I replaced the worn out original rubber body mounts last year.

Clearing 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2's on 15x8 wheels with 3.75 back space.
capt205 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacheswheelin View Post
I am getting ready to order today, anyone else have input?
You didn't give much time for some replies. What kind are you ordering? In my research, and subsequent purchase, I choose OME based on the reviews I found from several sites. I can't comment on their performance since I'm still in the build stage.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
nacheswheelin
1960 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post

You didn't give much time for some replies. What kind are you ordering? In my research, and subsequent purchase, I choose OME based on the reviews I found from several sites. I can't comment on their performance since I'm still in the build stage.
I can wait a couple days to order to see if there are for more replies. I was leaning towards Rubicon Express 4.5 inch springs. I was not planning on getting the kit, just buying or making some spring perches.
Unread 07-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
83vert
1982 CJ7 

I bought the RE complete kit but I have never heard anything bad about BDS
Unread 07-01-2013, 11:24 AM   #9
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacheswheelin View Post
I can wait a couple days to order to see if there are for more replies. I was leaning towards Rubicon Express 4.5 inch springs. I was not planning on getting the kit, just buying or making some spring perches.
Old man emu, BDS and rubicon express are all great companies. You can't go wrong with any of them. However, the largest Yj lift spring made by ome is a 36R 2.5" HD (actually 3"). Rides great and cheap when purchased from even quadratec at under $100 per spring. The bushings are expensive though and you'll need to source the 2.5" wide steel inner bushings to make the complete kit as we Yj guys just reuse the old ones.

Rubicon express 1454 HD springs are also great. I run these up front in my Yj and have zero complaints with their rigidity and durability. The half wrap up front allows better articulation and separation of the spring pack which equates to better flex. Don't let anyone tell you that since they were bought out from transamerican that they will be crap like pro comp. I've been to their facility and am actually a couple miles away as I type this from the passenger seat of a vehicle speeding down hwy 50. Great guys and great springs.

BDS is actually my favorite partially because of the warranty but mainly because of the ride quality. For the arch of the spring, its the best riding of the bunch. Its a full mil wrap front and back so be prepared to add some small lift boomerangs to possibly clear the frame when they flex. I can't say enough good things about them. Shipping is free when you have them sent to a dealer and you just pick them up. You can order on the website spring by spring or see if you can get it cheaper by calling your local dealer which is listed on the BDS site.

Another option is BDS' sister company: Zone offroad. The quality is the same but they're cheaper and the warranty is knocked down considerably from "no questions asked" to a limited lifetime. Quite limited. Also some springs come without the full mil wrap so be prepared for that if its in your build plans.
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #10
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

I run BDS 3.5" YJ (HD) springs and am very happy with the way they work. With a longer shackle (4" center to center) I net about a 4" lift. I used OME for a long time and they were great although didn't give me as much lift as I wanted. I've never used RE springs but if you want the most lift you can get out of SUA setup, they are probably the way to go (I think they will net about a 5" lift).
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #11
spottedfrog
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spieg8 View Post
I run BDS 3.5" YJ (HD) springs and am very happy with the way they work. With a longer shackle (4" center to center) I net about a 4" lift. I used OME for a long time and they were great although didn't give me as much lift as I wanted. I've never used RE springs but if you want the most lift you can get out of SUA setup, they are probably the way to go (I think they will net about a 5" lift).
I'm contemplating a similar setup, how is the caster angle? how is the clearance for 33s? and flex.
spottedfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #12
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottedfrog View Post
I'm contemplating a similar setup, how is the caster angle? how is the clearance for 33s? and flex.
The BDS springs flex just as good as the OMEs did. I run 35" tires so I'm sure 33s would fit fine too.

I like to run at +6 degrees caster (spec is +4 to +6 for my 84), and it was at +2 with springs and shackles. I rotated the perches 4 degrees to get back to where I like it (used shims first which worked fine, and eventually cut and welded perches permanently when I had the opportunity).

One thing you don't hear about much (maybe some people don't run into this) is that in the process of moving the front shackle mounts forward an inch to accommodate the longer YJ springs, you actually move the front axle forward a little bit (1/2" or so). In my case, this was enough to cause the pitman arm to rub on the tie rod as the suspension moves up and down (the OMEs rubbed a little and the BDSs rub enough that I can hear it banging). I'm currently working on getting a shorter pitman arm to resolve this. There is also a HD mount available from MORE that will move the steering box forward 1.25" but I didn't want to do that because it requires cutting a notch out of the frame cross member to clear the steering lines (and you have to lengthen the steering shaft).
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #13
nacheswheelin
1960 CJ5 

I think I will end up ordering:

4x Bds 004500 5 inch springs (The warranty hooked me into them)
Bds ubolts for my dana 44s
M.O.R.E- shackle reversal, rear shackle hanger and two boomerang shackles

I already have spring hangers I can use, I might make my own shackle reversal and spring perches depending on how I feel after building the frame.
Thanks to all who replied
nacheswheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 11:49 PM   #14
czuess
1981 CJ7 

I have the BDS 5" YJ springs. I have a waggy 44 up front at 62" wms and running 35"s. The springs are soft and I needed a sway bar upfront to help it at hwy speeds. When I maxed out my suspension to measure for shocks I had 9" of difference between fully compressed and full droop. I would recommend a good shock. I went with RS9000 so i could dial it in for hwy or trail. I think I am set at 7 for the road and if I soften them all the way it gets a little scary on the road. Just my .2
czuess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #15
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Heres a suggestion. You could save yourself some money on the shackle hangers and integrate them into the frame. They would be much stronger as well. TDK does this with a sleeve recessed into the rear of the frame, since it stays a true 2"x4" to the end, whereas a stock frame necks down the bottom at the rear horns.
This is a TDK frame:
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.