BDS Lift Kit and Shackles - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > BDS Lift Kit and Shackles

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-06-2013, 06:06 AM   #16
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zillla View Post
I have BDS stuff on my 75 CJ. 2-1/2 " lift. A few years later [last year] I installed M.O.R.E. greasable shackles and poly bushings. My OEM shackles were toast and had trashed the BDS bushings. Biggest hassle was removing the old bushings. Hint: A sawzall is your friend.
Hey Zilla,

Yeah, I had a terrible time when I removed when I removed my OEM shackles ... I don't have a sawzall, but I do think I firured out to use my grinder/cutting wheel. Thinking back on it, I'm embarassed by how much time I spent trying to use a gear puller to pull the damn things out from the hangers ...

Really though, what I don't understand is how the BDS kit comes with bushings that are so much smaller (length-wise) than the Omix-Ada. And, I can't believe how easy it was to break the bolt on the new Omix-Ada OEM style pieces of #$%@!! I didn't think I'd gotten on it much at all ... then "snap" and then Though, admittedly, I wasn't using a torque wrench ... and I was trying to pull it in to get it snug up against the bushings ... trying to correct for the excessive slop problem in my steering, which I now think was caused by using bushings that weren't long enough down at the front springs. Looking at it after the fact though, the bushing were way to small and I could never have tightened the shackle bolt enough ... i.e. you run out of threads on the bolt ... I'm not describing this well, but hopefully you know what I mean ... just annoying ...

Well, please excuse my rambling/whining, it just sucked.

Thanks very much for taking the time to explain your setup; I'll look into those M.O.R.E. greasable shackles !!

Cheers -
John

()_)-()_)-o-)_)

... can't take credit for the graphic ... but it's cool, ain't it?
Sherms-CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 06:10 AM   #17
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenicwalker View Post
Jim1611 makes em. He's a vendor on here. Crabtree Tool & Die. Can't answer for sure about if they'll work with the BDS, but he will. Everything he makes is TOP NOTCH! I hope to buy his shackles and hangers...if I ever get this project start!

Thanks much - I'm going to check him out!! I know I'd read that he makes some great stuff; I'll check with him if he knows if his shackles will work with my BDS springs.

John
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Unread 07-06-2013, 06:17 AM   #18
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_heath View Post
I run a BDS 2.5 and M.O.R.E. 1/2 inch lift shackle.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12590_302X_PG.htm

Easy and straightforward install.
Awesome - and Thanks for taking the time to post about your setup ... nice rig by the way!

John
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Unread 07-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #19
zillla
1975 CJ5 

Sherm before I wised up to the Sawzall I spent quite bit of time with a hacksaw. Not fun..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.