Originally Posted by zillla
I have BDS stuff on my 75 CJ. 2-1/2 " lift. A few years later [last year] I installed M.O.R.E. greasable shackles and poly bushings. My OEM shackles were toast and had trashed the BDS bushings. Biggest hassle was removing the old bushings. Hint: A sawzall is your friend.
Yeah, I had a terrible time when I removed when I removed my OEM shackles ... I don't have a sawzall, but I do think I firured out to use my grinder/cutting wheel. Thinking back on it, I'm embarassed by how much time I spent trying to use a gear puller to pull the damn things out from the hangers ...
Really though, what I don't understand is how the BDS kit comes with bushings that are so much smaller (length-wise) than the Omix-Ada. And, I can't believe how easy it was to break the bolt on the new Omix-Ada OEM style pieces of #$%@!! I didn't think I'd gotten on it much at all ... then "snap" and then
Though, admittedly, I wasn't using a torque wrench ... and I was trying to pull it in to get it snug up against the bushings ... trying to correct for the excessive slop problem in my steering, which I now think was caused by using bushings that weren't long enough down at the front springs. Looking at it after the fact though, the bushing were way to small and I could never have tightened the shackle bolt enough ... i.e. you run out of threads on the bolt ... I'm not describing this well, but hopefully you know what I mean ... just annoying ...
Well, please excuse my rambling/whining, it just sucked.
Thanks very much for taking the time to explain your setup; I'll look into those M.O.R.E. greasable shackles !!