BDS Lift Kit and Shackles - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > BDS Lift Kit and Shackles

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 07-06-2013, 07:06 AM   #16
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zillla View Post
I have BDS stuff on my 75 CJ. 2-1/2 " lift. A few years later [last year] I installed M.O.R.E. greasable shackles and poly bushings. My OEM shackles were toast and had trashed the BDS bushings. Biggest hassle was removing the old bushings. Hint: A sawzall is your friend.
Hey Zilla,

Yeah, I had a terrible time when I removed when I removed my OEM shackles ... I don't have a sawzall, but I do think I firured out to use my grinder/cutting wheel. Thinking back on it, I'm embarassed by how much time I spent trying to use a gear puller to pull the damn things out from the hangers ...

Really though, what I don't understand is how the BDS kit comes with bushings that are so much smaller (length-wise) than the Omix-Ada. And, I can't believe how easy it was to break the bolt on the new Omix-Ada OEM style pieces of #$%@!! I didn't think I'd gotten on it much at all ... then "snap" and then Though, admittedly, I wasn't using a torque wrench ... and I was trying to pull it in to get it snug up against the bushings ... trying to correct for the excessive slop problem in my steering, which I now think was caused by using bushings that weren't long enough down at the front springs. Looking at it after the fact though, the bushing were way to small and I could never have tightened the shackle bolt enough ... i.e. you run out of threads on the bolt ... I'm not describing this well, but hopefully you know what I mean ... just annoying ...

Well, please excuse my rambling/whining, it just sucked.

Thanks very much for taking the time to explain your setup; I'll look into those M.O.R.E. greasable shackles !!

Cheers -
John

()_)-()_)-o-)_)

... can't take credit for the graphic ... but it's cool, ain't it?
Sherms-CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:10 AM   #17
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenicwalker View Post
Jim1611 makes em. He's a vendor on here. Crabtree Tool & Die. Can't answer for sure about if they'll work with the BDS, but he will. Everything he makes is TOP NOTCH! I hope to buy his shackles and hangers...if I ever get this project start!

Thanks much - I'm going to check him out!! I know I'd read that he makes some great stuff; I'll check with him if he knows if his shackles will work with my BDS springs.

John
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Unread 07-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #18
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_heath View Post
I run a BDS 2.5 and M.O.R.E. 1/2 inch lift shackle.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12590_302X_PG.htm

Easy and straightforward install.
Awesome - and Thanks for taking the time to post about your setup ... nice rig by the way!

John
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Unread 07-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #19
zillla
1975 CJ5 

Sherm before I wised up to the Sawzall I spent quite bit of time with a hacksaw. Not fun..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.