BDS Lift Kit and Shackles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > BDS Lift Kit and Shackles

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

BDS Lift Kit and Shackles

Ok, so I've ordered the BDS 2.5" Lift Kit from BDS 2.5” Suspension, Jeep CJ - OK4WD ... And I ordered the steering stabilizer and new tie rod ends.

Then I asked the salesman/technical support dude about shackles, as I plan on replacing them; I mentioned that I was thinking about non-lifted Currie shackles, which go for about $80 for a pair ... (Currie Enterprises CE-9035A - Currie Front Greasable Shackle Pair for 76-86 Jeep® CJ - Quadratec).
He said many just order the stock shackles (retailing for approx. $24 for a pair), which are, of course, considerably cheaper.

Now, I know how you get what you pay for, but what makes the Currie shackles that much better? And, a more important question as I just read "Will not work with Pro-Comp, Black Diamond, or Trail Master springs" on Quadratec's web page, will Currie shackles work with BDS springs?

Thanks again!

Last edited by Sherms-CJ7; 06-03-2010 at 03:01 AM..
Sherms-CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 06:22 AM   #2
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

I think the key factor is that they are greaseable while still installed. So you don't have to remove anything to service them. The Currie shackles are also going to be considerably stronger than stock. And they should work providing they're the same width.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 07:07 AM   #3
Felonious_monk
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I thought that the Double Military Wrap on the BDS Springs wouldnt allow you to run the stock shackles.....

Good Luck
Unread 06-03-2010, 08:32 AM   #4
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

CopperCJ7 - Thanks for the info! I never knew I was supposed to be greasing the shackles ... pretty sad huh? I guess I didn't go off-road enough to have a problem ... when I was in the Navy I used my CJ as a daily driver. Your reply makes me lean towards putting out the extra money, which is usually the right decision in the long run. Thanks again!

Mr. Monk - I'll call BDS to double check about the Double Military Wrap, but that's what their retailer told me. I'll get back here and post what I find out ...

Thanks Gents!
Unread 06-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #5
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

I run stock shackles and poly bushings with my BDS springs.
VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 08:57 AM   #6
OlivergreenCJ7
2001 TJ Wrangler 

extended shackles will help the taller lift springs compress better, usually offer grease fittings, and are usually beefier than stock shackles. That being said, the longer the shackle the lower your pinion will go so I would keep it an inch or less to be safe. Also when you install new shackles make sure they are not to tight. If they come with nylocks I just tighten them until they contact the shackle and then give a 1/2 turn.
Unread 06-03-2010, 09:59 AM   #7
Full Tank
1980 CJ5 

There are a couple varieties of HD shackles. Some have the brace between the shackle bolts welded & some use a bolt with a pipe/bushing brace. The Currie shackles pictured have the bolt/pipe type brace.

Because of the larger diameter of the spring eye of the BDS springs it will probably interfere with the brace. I ran into this same problem with my Currie style shackles and BDS 4" lift springs. I can use the brace bolt but there is not enough clearance for the brace pipe/bushing. If my shackles were the welded HD type I would have been screwed and been looking for new shackles. OE shackles will work fine because they don't use the middle brace.

FT

1986 CJ7
Dana 30--AMC20--D300--T5--2.5L
Full Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 10:05 AM   #8
MikeMCJ
1951 M-38 

Hey, nice P-3!

I run the 2.5" BDS and 1/2" HD shackles. The longer shackles help prevent shackle inversion too.
MikeMCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 10:37 AM   #9
thich
1982 CJ7 

i too have BDS springs. when i installed them i had to take the center pin out of the shackles even though they are longer. i highly recommend spending a few extra $$ for better that stock shackles, or make them. even if you just get some cheap non greasable shackles, you can just drill out the bolts and tap in some zerks.
Unread 07-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #10
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

I am reviving this thread to provide feedback for any who other newbies such as myself who might follow ...

I ended up going with the cheap Omix-Ada stock shackles ... yeah, and just sheared the damn bolt!!!! Very frustrating!! I am feeling like a huge moron - the bushings for BDS springs in the front were not long enough, and I was trying to pull them in ... pop ... #$%@#$#%%!%!!!! I can't believe they BDS kit comes with bushings that aren't long enough for stock shackles. Was I supposed to use the bushings that come with the shackle kit? Why then, does the lift kit come with bushings at all??? I was just convinced I was supposed to use them. So, now that I'm furious about the stock shackles (I didn't think I was "gettin on it much at all"), what shackles should I have gone with ... or, assuming I'm done with cheap parts manufactured in China, what shackles should I go with at this point???

Cheers -
John
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

... can't take credit for the graphic ... but it's cool, ain't it?
Unread 07-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #11
agear
1984 CJ7 

Yes the currie industries greasable shackles will work with a 2.5 bds susp. lift-that happens to be exactly what I have. Can't say why the currie shackles are good. My brother in law is the expert. He says they're great.
1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
agear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #12
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Thanks for posting AGEAR - I think I might have to go that route ... just wish I'd done that initially ...

Though, there is another option ... wasn't there somebody on the forum here who makes a great HD shackle? Or, will that not work with the BDS springs? Hmmm ...

John
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

... can't take credit for the graphic ... but it's cool, ain't it?
Unread 07-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #13
lukenicwalker
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherms-CJ7
Thanks for posting AGEAR - I think I might have to go that route ... just wish I'd done that initially ...

Though, there is another option ... wasn't there somebody on the forum here who makes a great HD shackle? Or, will that not work with the BDS springs? Hmmm ...

John
Jim1611 makes em. He's a vendor on here. Crabtree Tool & Die. Can't answer for sure about if they'll work with the BDS, but he will. Everything he makes is TOP NOTCH! I hope to buy his shackles and hangers...if I ever get this project start!

Unread 07-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #14
zillla
1975 CJ5 

I have BDS stuff on my 75 CJ. 2-1/2 " lift. A few years later [last year] I installed M.O.R.E. greasable shackles and poly bushings. My OEM shackles were toast and had trashed the BDS bushings. Biggest hassle was removing the old bushings. Hint: A sawzall is your friend.
Unread 07-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #15
CJ_heath
1984 CJ7 

I run a BDS 2.5 and M.O.R.E. 1/2 inch lift shackle.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12590_302X_PG.htm

Easy and straightforward install.
CJ_heath is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.