Battery screw up... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Battery screw up...

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 11-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
gunrun45
1982 CJ7 

Battery screw up... (edited with solution/ total damages)

So I got this fantastic deal on a yellow top optima battery. I bought it, got it home and decided to hook her up. Unfortunately, I only had about 3 hours of sleep in me. I glanced at the tops and connected the cables. Sparks and smoke! The starter selonoid fried.

I have an electrically stock 1982 Jeep CJ7 with the 258 and manual tranny.

Here's my issue: almost everything works in the jeep. Lights, it cranks, etc... But it also has a Howell TBI kit. The constant for the TBI kit I stole from a red wire with white stripe near the ignition (factory wiring). From what my stupid eyes see, it looks like there is a red wire that goes from the starter selonoid to the ignition module with a relay between. Then the red wire turns into the red with white stripe that goes through the fire wall / fuse block area. I'm pretty sure this is the wire I've used as my constant on.

I'm hoping for suggestions here with what I cooked. Do you think ignition module? I'm hoping not my Howell TBI... Does anybody know the name of that relay I'm talking about between the starter selonoid and the ignition module? Better yet, maybe a part # so I can try replacing it first?

Thanks guys in advance. I just bought a house and funds are low so I'm trying to make this right without going too horribly broke :/

gunrun45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
gunrun45
1982 CJ7 

50+ views and nobody?
Unread 11-19-2011, 04:57 PM   #3
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Can't help with the FI, don't have it.

The basics on the rest, a 12 volt test light. Check for power where its suspose to be, and fuses.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #4
cbrogers

Look for fuse-able links too. They can be harder to find and diagnose.

Carl
cbrogers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
gunrun45
1982 CJ7 

Thanks for the response. I do appreciate it. This is the first time I've done this in 15yrs of jeepin. I'm feeling pretty stupid
Unread 11-19-2011, 06:12 PM   #6
SeaWulf
1983 CJ7 

This red wire with a white stripe?

Complements of John Strenk
SeaWulf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
Menako
1980 CJ7 

Red/tr goes from solenoid to coil- splice back to module, also splice to neutral safety, then to fuse box. I beleive there is a resistance wire or fuseable link between solenoide and engine mod. Check fuse for ingition. With key on should have power to coil.
Unread 11-20-2011, 01:43 PM   #8
gunrun45
1982 CJ7 

Sweet! Thanks for the help guys. It's the red wire with white stripe thats under the dash near the ignition. I used it for constant on for the fuel injection.
Unread 12-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #9
gunrun45
1982 CJ7 

Just an update in case anybody else has this issue. I fried the computer and starter selonoid. Didn't find any fuseable links in that line. I finally broke down and paid a pro to fix it. As an FYI I called Howell and they said the computer could be bought locally using the matching Chevy part then put the Howell prom unit in it. All together cos me about $400 in parts, truely skilled labor, etc... A good dose of humility too...

I used the red wore with the white stripe as described above just for reference.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.