Battery relocation... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Battery relocation...

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-09-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
PhatBasturd
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ7 

Battery relocation...

Any drawbacks/safety issues to having the battery located behind the seat on a CJ? Enclosed with a hardtop?

PO of my CJ did this with 1/0 welding cable grounded to the frame and another piece of 1/0 to the engine compartment.

PhatBasturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 02:02 PM   #2
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

potential fumes from an unsealed battery, potential arc'ing it it ever comes loose( or has stuff stored/thrown across it), more difficult to jump if needed, loss of already limited interior space. longer cables offer more resistance (less power for starting)...

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
duffer
1955 CJ3B 

I put mine in a built-up steel box which is welded to the frame and cross-member, under the floor, behind the driver's seat (should be photo in my gallery pics). It has an aluminum hold down bar, battery disconnect, and flush fitting, hinged access lid. I used 2-0 cable to the starter and a 1-0 cable to both the frame ground and bellhousing, directly behind the starter. It is vented below the floor. It has been time tested for 32 years in this location. A word of caution: you will end up with a long, unprotected positive lead that if allowed to short, will likely burn up your Jeep. I used split-loom over the top of the welding cable and all rubber-bushed (EPDM) cable clamps. The sheathing/cable does not contact ground anywhere. My winch lead connects at the starter and I have not noted any current limitations with this arrangement.
duffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 06:54 PM   #4
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

in the glove box might work

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 06:57 PM   #5
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I used to do this with street/strip cars.

The only change I'd really suggest would be to use a "pass-through" post to go through the firewall, instead of drilling a hole and passing the cable. Likewise with any other bulkheads. If you can't find any, let me know (I have some.)

The battery, if being mounted in the pax area, should go into a sealed box and vented outside the vehicle! Even "sealed" "maintenance-free" batteries will still outgas when charged, and this is what can cause you the trouble (yep - even Odyssey and Optima batteries have vents in the lids. You won't lose electrolyte, but you'll still get outgassing.)
Unread 09-09-2009, 07:05 PM   #6
scottymac62
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
I used to do this with street/strip cars.

The only change I'd really suggest would be to use a "pass-through" post to go through the firewall, instead of drilling a hole and passing the cable. Likewise with any other bulkheads. If you can't find any, let me know (I have some.)

The battery, if being mounted in the pax area, should go into a sealed box and vented outside the vehicle! Even "sealed" "maintenance-free" batteries will still outgas when charged, and this is what can cause you the trouble (yep - even Odyssey and Optima batteries have vents in the lids. You won't lose electrolyte, but you'll still get outgassing.)

Like this

Summit SUM-G1431 - Summit® Bulkhead Cable Connectors - Overview - SummitRacing.com
'77 CJ-5 Renegade 304 / T-150, Dana 20, 30/20 axles, Aussie Locker in the Dana 30, American Racing 15x10 Outlaw II's, 33" Dynapro M/T's" ,Optima Battery, TeamRushed + Summit Racing CDI ignition, FlowKooler water pump, Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold, Holley 4160 390cfm, Herculiner, Silver Ceramic Coated Hedman Hedders, Flowmaster 40's.
Warn PowerPlant HD 12K Winch, Dirtworx front and rear bumpers.
scottymac62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.