Battery Recommendation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Battery Recommendation

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-30-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
nedmoore

1982 CJ7 

Battery Recommendation

I need your input. I need a battery for my old Range Rover and my CJ that will stay charged without starting for three maybe four weeks....

My CJ is not finished yet, but when it is, I will only drive it every couple of weeks. My rover is on it's 4th or 5th battery that I got from Wally World. After a month or so, the battery dies, will not take a charge. I go to wal mart and they give me a new one.....

I am tired of doing this! Both have V-8's.

What say you?

nedmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 08:59 PM   #2
Oily
1985 CJ7 

You have battery draw somewhere. Clock, alarm, something. An alternative is a battery knife switch.
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:08 PM   #3
nedmoore

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oily View Post
You have battery draw somewhere. Clock, alarm, something. An alternative is a battery knife switch.
Clock-yes
Alarm-yes
I also heard that if you turned off the rover with the stereo in "CD" mode that it will use juice for memory that would save the position of the CD when you started it back up.

What about a trickle charger? I am just amazed that after two or three weeks of down time that the battery will not take a charge....

Thanks for the link too!
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
Oily
1985 CJ7 

A trickle charger should work. They also make solar trickle chargers.
Unread 07-30-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
nedmoore

1982 CJ7 

Hey Oily, do you use a knife switch? I guess they sell them through NAPA.
Unread 07-30-2010, 11:01 PM   #6
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I would suggest the trickle charger. Even batteries in parts stores or new cars on dealers lots need to be started or charged every 3-4 weeks.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 06:46 AM   #7
GPER
1979 CJ7 

I like the Die Hard Golds that I use in all of my cars, my CJ also has a disconnect switch and sits for a month without problems even in winter.
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 07:23 AM   #8
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedmoore View Post
Hey Oily, do you use a knife switch? I guess they sell them through NAPA.
No, I don't but I have more vehicles than I can drive regularly and should use some. I just disconnect them but that is a pain.
Unread 07-31-2010, 07:37 AM   #9
yahwhy
1982 CJ7 

battery tender
yahwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 07:48 AM   #10
frank c
1981 CJ5 

Your probably going to need a battery tender if you have much drain on it while sitting.
I have had a red top altima battery on my tundra since 2001 its never failed me yet. And I have a 5th wheel trailer it powers the jacks on when connected. I also had a red top on my street rod 34 ford.
Realizing that red top is going on 10 years old come Christmas this year I better "knock on wood". As you can guess I'm sold on the red top,for just over 100.00 at wallmart you can't beat it.
frank c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2010, 10:24 PM   #11
nedmoore

1982 CJ7 

I ordered the battery knife today, I figured it would be easier to open the hood and flip a switch rather than hook up the tender.

Funny thing, our fire trucks here have both a battery disconnect and a trickle charger....
Unread 08-01-2010, 03:11 PM   #12
yahwhy
1982 CJ7 

memory

the knife cutoff will be fine, but your gonna lose clock, and preset stations on the jukebox, so everytime you take it out you'll have to tune in a station or set all preset. a battery tender can be wired directly to the battery and the lead can be routed out through the grill then you could just plug it in. sounds pretty simple to me.
yahwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 09:25 PM   #13
nedmoore

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahwhy View Post
the knife cutoff will be fine, but your gonna lose clock, and preset stations on the jukebox, so everytime you take it out you'll have to tune in a station or set all preset. a battery tender can be wired directly to the battery and the lead can be routed out through the grill then you could just plug it in. sounds pretty simple to me.
That is a good point, esp. with the Rover, the stereo has a security function to where you have to enter a code after a loss of power. I have it memorized due to the fact that the battery has been drained so many times.

I bought a Die Hard Platinum battery today, It is in the rover now, but will put it in the Jeep when it is finished.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.