Battery Drains While Vehicle Is Parked - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Battery Drains While Vehicle Is Parked

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
macg1777
1985 CJ7 

Battery Drains While Vehicle Is Parked

I have a 85 CJ7 4.2 and battery power is draining. I did follow one of the suggestions I saw on another post by removing the negative battery terminal and use a test light from post to terminal and pull fuses until the light goes out or goes dim. The test light is not lighting real bright when I do this so I would imagine that there is not a large draw on the battery but if Jeep sits for a week I have no battery power at all. The battery is new and I did recently remove it and got it tested and the battery is good. Any other suggestions on what could be draining the battery. Thanks

macg1777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Do you have an ammeter? Pull off the negative cable and hook one meter lead to the cable and the other to the battery post. Read how many milliamps it is pulling and perform the same test with the fuses. Also don't forget to unplug the alternator, coil and ignition. Be careful not to hook up a mA meter then go and turn on the headlamps, you'll pop the fuse in your meter.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
IdahoJeeper
1995 ZJ 

What about the dash clock? How much does that draw?

I disconnected mine a while ago for this reason (killing battery) but have been kicking around hooking it back up.
IdahoJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
blownsvtlightni
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
Do you have an ammeter? Pull off the negative cable and hook one meter lead to the cable and the other to the battery post. Read how many milliamps it is pulling and perform the same test with the fuses. Also don't forget to unplug the alternator, coil and ignition. Be careful not to hook up a mA meter then go and turn on the headlamps, you'll pop the fuse in your meter.
perform this test, but instead pull fuses until the drain drops. 0.050 Amps or lower is the typical spec for newer cars. yours should be lower.
blownsvtlightni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
macg1777
1985 CJ7 

It does not have a dash clock. Thanks
Unread 01-23-2010, 04:02 PM   #6
macg1777
1985 CJ7 

Could something else be drawing that is not fused?
Unread 01-23-2010, 06:14 PM   #7
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

I had a problem with my Mothers car just like this. I removed the neg battery cable and with the test light it had no light. The damn thing has power everything on it. The battery was about 10 months old (84 month Autolite) and I had it tested (Checkers) more times that it should have been. Always tested good after they charged it. Well I had charged it up real good and let it sit unhooked from the battery cables for 3 days, then hooked it back up and sure enough it was dead enough it would not turn over the car. Took it back to a different Checkers and told them that it was junk and when they tested it, guess what, it had a dead cell. Replaced it and been good for a year now. Don't assume the tester or equipment they use is any good at testing a battery. I had fought this for about 5 months. So I would say charge it good and then let it sit for 2 or 3 days then hook it up and see if it has any power in it.
1986cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 07:11 PM   #8
Andy5150
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My cj-7 just did the same thing. I returned from a week vacation only to find my battery deader than Abe Lincoln. I jump started it and it fired up, and will restart just fine the next day. I put a volt meter acroos the battery terminals right after i shut the motor off, and it read 12.6 volts. The next morning, it was 12.3. With the motor idling, the voltage is 14.5. I did the test light on the negative terminal to the cable, and its fairly bright, and taking out each fuse did nothing. I,m stumped. The battery is 2 weeks old. I disconnected the battery and I,ll see if it still drains to 12.3 volts overnight.
Andy5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 07:14 PM   #9
fredrok
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by macg1777 View Post
I have a 85 CJ7 4.2 and battery power is draining. I did follow one of the suggestions I saw on another post by removing the negative battery terminal and use a test light from post to terminal and pull fuses until the light goes out or goes dim. The test light is not lighting real bright when I do this so I would imagine that there is not a large draw on the battery but if Jeep sits for a week I have no battery power at all. The battery is new and I did recently remove it and got it tested and the battery is good. Any other suggestions on what could be draining the battery. Thanks
I'm confused. You just described the best way to test for the draw, but you're not going to do it? The light does not have to be bright to kill the battery over time. Pull fuses until the light goes out and you've found the draw. (their could be more than 1)
Unread 01-23-2010, 07:16 PM   #10
76 CJ5
1976 CJ5 

out of curiosity does the horn work? my 76 had a problem with the horn switch in the steering wheel, you could hear it clicking(after I unhooked the horn) and it would eventually kill the battery. I solved it by putting a big switch on the positive side of the battery
76 CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 07:24 PM   #11
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

Andy, you disconnected the neg battery cable and clipped the test light to the cable end and the probe to the neg side of the battery and it lights? You should not have any light at all.
1986cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 08:05 PM   #12
macg1777
1985 CJ7 

The light should light when you pull the cable if you have a dash clock or a radio that holds memory shouldn't it?
Unread 01-23-2010, 08:14 PM   #13
macg1777
1985 CJ7 

Fredrok I did do the test as I mentioned. The light stayed lit and did not get dim or go out as every fuse was pulled.
Unread 01-23-2010, 08:16 PM   #14
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by macg1777 View Post
The light stayed lit and did not get dim or go out as every fuse was pulled.
You are trying to use a crude tool, the test lamp, for a specific type of measurement. When you hook up a test lamp in series like that, any draw in the system must travel through the test lamp to get back to ground. Therefore, the more draw in your system the brighter the lamp. The lamp is crude in that it only tells you there is a draw, not how much of one. An ammeter hooked up in series will tell you the actual draw in mA on the system. As you pull fuses or disconnect parts (alternator, coil, ignition), you will know exactly how much each one contributes to your draw. As stated earlier, the spec for newer cars and trucks is .050 mA. A full charged battery should last 2-3 weeks with no problems on a .050 mA draw.

Have you unplugged the alternator yet?
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 08:23 PM   #15
macg1777
1985 CJ7 

I think that I need to invest in a meter. I have not unplugged the alternator. Could that draw from the battery when it is parked?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.