Battery Drains - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Battery Drains

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutBlack Friday Deals !JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!

Unread 02-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #1
ColdSteel85
1982 CJ7 

Battery Drains

Hey y'all. I currently own my second CJ. The newest I bought 3 weeks ago. I know battery drainage is a common problem in the CJs and both that I own/ed have had this issue. Wondering if there is a common issue that causes this or does it vary greatly from one jeep to the next? Thanks

ColdSteel85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

It varies on the Jeep and the wiring. Mine does not drain, I let it sit weeks and its fine.
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
wm69

With key off, remove neg batt cable, and put clamp on cable end, and probe on battery neg post. Light will be lit if you have a drain. If light is on, start unplugging fuses one at a time, and when the light goes out, you've found the particular circuit your drain is on. If you pull all fuses and still have a drain, try unhooking your alternator and see if it goes out. My drain was a bad diode in the alterntor that was draining the battery.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm69 View Post
With key off, remove neg batt cable, and put clamp on cable end, and probe on battery neg post. Light will be lit if you have a drain. If light is on, start unplugging fuses one at a time, and when the light goes out, you've found the particular circuit your drain is on. If you pull all fuses and still have a drain, try unhooking your alternator and see if it goes out. My drain was a bad diode in the alterntor that was draining the battery.
x2 on this to see if you have drain. But make sure you unplug the hood light and radio if you have one thats got a constant power. Those will alway show a drain and will lead you on a wild goose chase. Ask me how I know...
Unread 02-24-2013, 06:08 AM   #5
ColdSteel85
1982 CJ7 

Ok thanks plan to start that journey today. In regards to constant power sources, I have a Laredo with the factory clock that still works. That should be unplugged as well before I start I assume? Thank you
ColdSteel85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSteel85 View Post
Ok thanks plan to start that journey today. In regards to constant power sources, I have a Laredo with the factory clock that still works. That should be unplugged as well before I start I assume? Thank you
Yes unplug it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.