Battery draining - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Battery draining

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 10-20-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
dezertnick
1984 CJ7 

Battery draining

Can a body lift cause a bad ground. I was looking at it last night and the negative terminal is grounded to the body where the supports for the fender tie into the fire wall. I have a 1" body lift, could that be my drain?

dezertnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
Tigerjeep79

1979 CJ7 

I'm chasing down a battery drain myself right now, and haven't located it yet. I don't see how a body lift would be the problem, though. Your negative battery cable should go straight to the engine block, or to a starter mounting bolt. The body and frame then could be grounded from the block.

Check out Jeephammer's posts. He's got some great advice on grounding problems and fixes.
Tigerjeep79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
dezertnick
1984 CJ7 

Well I am going to start by changing the negative cable to it's right location. Thanks for the tip on the thread. If I find anything I will post it.
dezertnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 07:42 PM   #4
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

I agree, Hammer has some great info, but here is what I think I know. A body lift should not cause a draw, it could cause certain electrically issues due to bad ground, I guess it is theoritically possible that a relay is staying open due to a bad groud, but that's far fetched. I agree the ground should go to the block and then healthy ground straps should ground the engine to the chassis and the body to the chassis.

When tracing a draw, I will remove the ground and put a test light in between the terminal of the cable and the lug on the battery, if there is a draw it will light up brightly, the harder the draw the brighter. It is not uncommon to have a very dim light due to stereo and memory and things of that nature. At this point I begin removing fuses until I locate the circuit that it is on and then trace it from there until I find the culprit. If the draw is not associated with a fuse then you have to start unplugging items that are not fused, maybe horn or headlights or things of that nature, you just to look around for items not listed on the fuse block. Aftermarket equipment is always suspect first (such as stereos), then the factory equipment.

Electrical gremlins can be a bear, but the good news is that it is constant, not to mention there is only about 5 wires in a Jeep (exageration but still not a lot). I am not overly familiar with a Jeep electrical system and their issues, but in general fan relays and open voltage regulator among others are common issues with older stuff.

Hope this helps good luck.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.