Battery/Alternator/Voltage Regulator - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Battery/Alternator/Voltage Regulator

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #1
CJ7Danomite

Battery/Alternator/Voltage Regulator

Hi Everyone,

A few months ago I posted a question about replacing my alternator, and I thought I had it solved, until this past weekend. My jeep had been reading low on the voltage gauge when running, about 12v, but one of my friends said this could be normal so I didn't worry about it. A few days ago it wouldn't crank, but ran fine after jump starting it. Long story short, The battery and alternator check out (had them tested at autozone), but it still won't charge the battery when running, and will die if I let it don't rev it when in neutral. I have read that my voltage regulator could be bad, but I have also read that 84 CJ7s don't have one. Coming off my alternator, I have 2 wire ends, one goes into the plug that goes back into the alternator, and the other goes into what I suspect may be the voltage regulator, because it connects with another lead on that piece that goes straight to the battery. Can anyone confirm if this part is the mysterious voltage regulator, and for a bonus weigh in on if that sounds like it would be the problem?

Thanks!
-Dan

CJ7Danomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
shadoow
1985 CJ7 

does your alternator look like this one?

this is on an 82 CJ7 and looks like my 85 CJ7 so your 84 should be similar if stock. The alternator is a Delco SI (i believe). The voltage regulator is internal to the alternator.
shadoow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #3
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Read this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ch...ences-1563135/

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Battery could be draining through the alt. or VR.
Charge the battery up. Disconnect the battery(POS side)and let it sit for a couple of days.
Does it still start?
If NO-Battery is DOA.
BTW, don't trust AZ for their testing.
What's the CCA rating on your battery?
LG
Unread 08-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
CJ7Danomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoow View Post
does your alternator look like this one?

this is on an 82 CJ7 and looks like my 85 CJ7 so your 84 should be similar if stock. The alternator is a Delco SI (i believe). The voltage regulator is internal to the alternator.
Yes, This is what mine looks like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
Thank you, I have been looking over that thread. I dont have a fusible link in any of the lines involving my alternator. It should be in the line going between the starter solenoid and the alternator, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
Battery could be draining through the alt. or VR.
Charge the battery up. Disconnect the battery(POS side)and let it sit for a couple of days.
Does it still start?
If NO-Battery is DOA.
BTW, don't trust AZ for their testing.
What's the CCA rating on your battery?
LG
I borrowed a 12v 10amp charger from a friend and have it hooked up now. I'm skeptical though, because it's only charging it at about 2 amps. That doesn't seem right? The battery is a 56-DL, CCA rating is 590.

Also, the new alternator I recently replaced is a DL7273.
CJ7Danomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
shadoow
1985 CJ7 

correct on the fusible link. It attaches to the same post as the battery on the starter solenoid and connects to the large wire going to the alternator (alt. output).

The charging amps is dependent on the battery charge. As the battery charge goes up the charging amps decline. What's the battery voltage without the charger connected? Have you checked the fluid levels in the battery cells? If low use demineralized water to refill.
shadoow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #7
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Yes. It's the sacrificial lamb to protect the Jeep. Cheapest insurance you'll ever buy.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Have you had the started tested for amp drain under load?
A bad starter will drain the battery fast.
You need to get a battery with more than 590 CCA. That's nut'n in power.

LG
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #9
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

What engine do you have?

Please! Fill out your Jeep's profile! It's threads like this where it's really helpful.

This may help. It's the Factory Service Manual electrical Section for 1984:

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-se....swf#toolbar=0

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.