Battery/Alternator Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Battery/Alternator Issues

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-21-2013, 06:59 AM   #1
BotchedRepair
1981 CJ7 

Battery/Alternator Issues

Hi All,

A few weeks ago, I replaced my battery and alternator ('81 CJ7 with a '76 304 AMC). I had to go back in and tighten the belt and negative connector on the alternator because it wasn't producing enough voltage to keep the battery charged. That seemed to fix the problem (the problem being a consistently dead battery). Yesterday, I saw a voltage drop on the battery and sure enough, it gave out on me again. Thinking it was a connection/tension issue that arose because of the temperature change here in Charlotte, NC, I tightened the belt again and assured the connections were solid. My volt meter is showing the alternator producing roughly 19 volts, but the battery continues to trickle down from 12 after jumped.

My question is this... What the heck could be the problem? Why would it have charged the battery fine for a few weeks, then suddenly crapped out? I feel like it is a connection issue, but I'm not sure where else to troubleshoot. Help!!

BotchedRepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

I'm not so sure the alternator isn't doing its job. What you're describing sounds more like some sort of a parasitic drain.

What you might want to do if you have a VOM is open up each circuit one at a time and look for amperage. I'd almost bet there's one circuit that has a ground on it.
Unread 11-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Charge the battery and leave it disconnected over night.
Have a real load test done for amps/volts.
Think'n you battery has issues.
X2 on patristic drain in your system.
Lets eliminate the battery as a fault.
Then go have your alt. tested.
Check ALL engine/frame/body gnds.
LG
Unread 11-23-2013, 11:08 PM   #4
BotchedRepair
1981 CJ7 

I spent the better part of today messing around with the circuit. I tested numerous potentials for drain and it turned out that the voltage regulator was the problem. Thanks to you all for your great insight!!!
BotchedRepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

19 volts is a dead giveaway the voltage regulator is shot!
You should NEVER see more than 14.5 volts at any given time for any reason.

China voltage regulators do that sometimes... They work OK for a little bit, then go nuts.

19 volts WILL damage the battery, have it tested! Get warranty if you can just to make sure you didn't cook/warp plates that will screw you later.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.