BASIC WIRING 101, Getting You Started! - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > BASIC WIRING 101, Getting You Started!

Black Friday Sale!!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #91
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
Hmmm never seen one of those PICO 0952A connectors before. Must be for later gear than what I'm used to working on, but then what isn't these days?

turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #92
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbogus View Post
Hmmm never seen one of those PICO 0952A connectors before. Must be for later gear than what I'm used to working on, but then what isn't these days?
Yeah, they plug in here . Look for CLock or AC connections.

John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #93
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Just found these, better post it wile I have the info.

Pico 0952A GM Ignition Cavity Fuse Block Tap - Clear

http://www.repairconnector.com/produ...2d-Clear-.html
Other than one having a 14g wire and the other having a 16g is there any difference between these two?

http://www.repairconnector.com/produ...Always-On.html

David
2girlsAndaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #94
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsAndaGuy View Post
Other than one having a 14g wire and the other having a 16g is there any difference between these two?

http://www.repairconnector.com/produ...Always-On.html
Great catch!!!!

Yes I believe the retainer clip is in different locations.

Look at the "clock light power" and the "A/C" locations and it looks like the clip openings are different shapes

THis needs deeper investigation...Find any more?
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #95
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

Those were the only two I saw, I am going to order both as I need a clean way to hook up my radio and cb. I will post up results when I get them.

David
2girlsAndaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2013, 09:29 PM   #96
1983 CJ7 

I hope this is the correct place to post this link, "GM ATO Style Fuse Block"

http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/GMATOStyleFuseBlock.htm

Unread 01-29-2014, 08:27 PM   #97
locohosa
1984 CJ7 

Wire Size Questions

Wire Size Questions

Hey folks, I am getting ready to order everything I need to Re-Kajigger my grounds and battery cables. I figured I would just use 10 gauge for all my dedicated grounds, but I went to buy 50 feet of Black 10 gauge wire and was completely sicker shocked…

What size wiring have you been using for dedicated grounds? Where did you purchase the wiring?

I had the silly thought that if right now my entire Jeep is being grounded with a single 6 gauge wire coming from the Starter to the Battery, even if my dedicated grounds were all 14 or 16 gauge it would improve the situation greatly… Is there anywhere specific I should use heavy wire? Such as headlights and alternator?

Im new at this.
1955 M35A2 6x6
locohosa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 08:25 AM   #98
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Hmmm, when I wired up my grounds to that buss block (posted earlier) I used all 10 gauge from a small spool that I believe I got it at NAPA for reasonable last year.
Unread 01-30-2014, 08:46 AM   #99
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Amazon has 100ft of Black 10GA wire for $26.50 (though a couple reviews aren't spectacular). That's about $0.27 per foot: Amazon 10GA Wire

NAPA shows $0.72/foot for a 100ft spool of Black 10GA: NAPA 10GA Wire
Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread
ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 10:20 AM   #100
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

http://www.waytekwire.com/products/
http://www.texasindustrialelectric.c..._terminals.asp
These two companies have some of the more difficult to find connectors to include weather proof packard connectors
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2014, 12:41 PM   #101
PastorGman
1974 CJ5 

JeepHammer, just wanted to say thanks for all the info you posted. I have a 74 CJ-5 which is going thru a "Painless"...lol wiring harness install and your info is going to help me a lot. Just going through it for a few minutes I probably said, "so that's what that means" so many times cause the pictures and images cleared up a lot for me. Just wanted to say thanks and to all others that contributed. Really appreciate it.
PastorGman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 08:24 AM   #102
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Lots of wiring questions all popping up at once again, is it time for this thread to surface again?
JeepHammer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 08:32 AM   #103
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

As it's been said many times before JH, I think this thread should be a sticky as I too reccomend this thread to others here and on other forums.
Unread 09-29-2014, 08:58 AM   #104
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

It is a stickie look under electrical and it is under electrical. I brought it to Besrk attention and he was kind enough to put it in there. Now to get the clientele to use it. An excellent write up with loads of additional information.
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 09:31 AM   #105
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

If you do this crap long enough, you find some ways that work better than factory, some short cuts, some things that keep your electrical system working...
Just trying to pass along some of that information to the guys that are just learning.

I just put down basics, it was the usual suspects that added the particulars that make it possible.
I buy in bulk. Nothing like having the crap you need at hand WHEN YOU NEED IT!
Leave it to the 'CJ Scroungers' to find sources for small quantities, odd ball sources and scour the internet & parts books for the stuff we need but can't get specifically for a 'CJ'...
They find it where it was used on something else and I can't do without them! This is a collaborative effort, all I did was get the ball rolling.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...
Nothing like having the correct tools, and a ton of guys rooting out the parts for you!
The problem with that is, you have to go through a TON of tools (and expense!) to figure out what tools work CORRECTLY!
A head start there gets you a long way towards your objective,
But without the correct parts, connectors, terminals, ect. it's MUCH harder!

I try NOT to go into things like Induction, Electromagnetic Interference, Impedance, Resistance, ect. unless it's specific to what folks are trying to accomplish.
These BASIC wiring runs are pretty simple, and save you the brain drain/issues you have with something like 'Painless' or one of the other 'One Size Fits Nothing' full harness replacements, Along with teaching something and preparing you to deal with any issue you run into down the road.

There is a thread running over two months on a harness replacement with a 'Kit' and hundreds upon hundreds of posts trying to get the inexperienced installer up and running correctly.
By just replacing one section of the harness at a time, you learn something, you have a harness that is CUSTOM FIT to your application, works better than the original and will live a LONG time without 'Issues'...
Unless you are just in a hurry (and you usually spend more time trying to cobble together things to work than if you had done it yourself),
Or believe the 'Far Away Expert' knows what you need better than YOU, the JEEPER,
This is usually the way to go...

One wire at a time... Nothing to it that way...
Pretty soon, you will be able to sort out the circuits in your head and then you are off to the races!
Won't be long until you can 'See' the circuit in your head, know EXACTLY what wire gauge, connector/terminal, if you need solder or not, heat shrink or not, how to test and refine your harness to work best for YOUR application!
Nothing like having this stuff work for you instead of constantly fighting the factory screw ups in the harness!
JeepHammer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.