BASIC WIRING 101, Getting You Started! - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > BASIC WIRING 101, Getting You Started!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 05-13-2013, 05:40 AM   #76
CJ7KAHUNA

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kconnor123 View Post
Where is jeephammer???
X2

We need the HAMMER

CJ7KAHUNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #77
billybooster2
1983 CJ8 

The contour fan has two speeds using the built in resistor. If you go with two 70 a relays, you will not cook anything
billybooster2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #78
TmasCJ5
1977 CJ5 

hoping to get an answer on this thread. I'm working on wiring on my 1977 CJ 5, just starting to completely rewire the engine bay. How do I get the male Packard terminal out of the bulkhead to replace. I tried pulling and pushing a little but didn't want to get too carried away, does it have a locking tab like the female? I wanted to take one down to the parts stores to make sure I get the right match when I buy parts thanks guys
TmasCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 04:36 AM   #79
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmasCJ5 View Post
hoping to get an answer on this thread. I'm working on wiring on my 1977 CJ 5, just starting to completely rewire the engine bay. How do I get the male Packard terminal out of the bulkhead to replace. I tried pulling and pushing a little but didn't want to get too carried away, does it have a locking tab like the female? I wanted to take one down to the parts stores to make sure I get the right match when I buy parts thanks guys

Little trickier. Nothing a needle nose pliers wont help. Thats how I got mine out.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 04:49 AM   #80
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbogus View Post
I've been concerned with running that 70 amp relay so when the Ford Contour fans come on together they don't cook the relays, however I'm wiring these fans independantly with their own controllers, fuses, relays and wiring...

Therefore this eliminates the overamp issue doesn't it?

As many may have seen from my posts I've already prepared relays, sockets and wiring for that 70 amp relay but now I'm thinking it's all for naught.

Confirmed OK by another, but then since it's already been prepared nothing wrong in over engineering I think.

Only thing I can think of is that it would be better to run it off two 30 Amp fuses instead of 1 60 Amp fuse.
What is you have a 50 amp short in one circuit, it would not blow the fuse and still start a fire.
Plus the dual fuses will give you a redundantcy that in case one fan shorts out and blows the fuse, the other one can still keep you cool.

In fact run the controller power off another fused circuit.

Unread 05-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #81
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
I've found working with the connectors the use a locking tab (or the receptacles that have a locking tab as Ford does) I've been using a flat and round needle file to get adequate bite when I'm probing for those tabs. It's made removal a lot easier for me.

I'm following John's wiring diagram in my twin controller setup presently (going through a wiring conundrum) while cleaning up the wiring in general on my setup.
WIth all of the relays and grounding circuits I've been using a ground block that's tied directly to the negative battery post, but by now the lines going in are getting too numerous (12 ground terminals), how have you guys attended to your numerous ground wires? is there a more elegant method?

I'd bet John and JH would know.
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #82
aclaugh1
1982 CJ8 

Quote:
how have you guys attended to your numerous ground wires? is there a more elegant method?

I'd bet John and JH would know.
I'm using a grounding bus bar that I bolted to the fender, then connected that to the negative terminal and the tub with grounding strap I had laying around.

It is easy and very convenient. If you do it right (not that I did) and wire things neatly, it can look pretty sharp.
aclaugh1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #83
AFRd_CJ5
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclaugh1 View Post
I'm using a grounding bus bar that I bolted to the fender, then connected that to the negative terminal and the tub with grounding strap I had laying around.

It is easy and very convenient. If you do it right (not that I did) and wire things neatly, it can look pretty sharp.
Mine is essentially the same way. I have a few distribution blocks from a car audio store behind my dash. One runs all my switched power, one runs all my grounds to the battery, and another runs all my always on wires to the battery.
Dana 30 front with 4.56's/Dana 44 rear with 4.88's
AFRd_CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #84
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Thanks guys, any pic's or model/part nos.?

I'm presently running one (NSI branded) that's configured like this
Unread 05-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #85
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Regained my brain and found a 20 position bus bar at Hab for Humanity for $3.00 clams, mounted it on the firewall behind battery #2. Once all the grounds are connected going to swab the works with dielectric grease.
Unread 05-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #86
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:

Thanks guys, any pic's or model/part nos.?

I'm presently running one (NSI branded) that's configured like this
I'm a little confused on the one on the right.

What are those horizontal lines going through the six holes.? I thought they were thread on a set screw but I can't figure out how you would tighten them. Are the a slide lock connector or something ?
Unread 05-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #87
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
I'm a little confused on the one on the right.

What are those horizontal lines going through the six holes.? I thought they were thread on a set screw but I can't figure out how you would tighten them. Are the a slide lock connector or something ?
Hi John, hope you're doing well. Those lines are the set screws that lock the wire in place. They accomodate a flat bladed screwdriver on their top. Not my drawing.
Unread 07-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #88
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Just found these, better post it wile I have the info.

Pico 0952A GM Ignition Cavity Fuse Block Tap - Clear

http://www.repairconnector.com/produ...2d-Clear-.html
Unread 07-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #89
Rousey72
1972 CJ5 

Awesome write up! This is going to come in handy when I start rewireing. The PO claimed to be a 12 volt genius (red flag) and all the wires are an absolute mess and everything is directly wired... NO CIRCUITS?!? Needless to say I'm replacing the whole harness with a harness from EZ Wiring. Anyone ever use ez wiring before?

Currently being taken apart, so that it can be put back together.
Rousey72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #90
Joe6Pack74
1979 CJ7 

Very nice write up and will save me a lot of internet time researching. Thanks.
Joe6Pack74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.