BASIC WIRING 101, Getting You Started! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > BASIC WIRING 101, Getting You Started!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 03-08-2012, 11:14 PM   #16
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslywalker View Post
Subscribed.
Nice to see someone else leaves there tools out in the rain while watching it rain drinking a beer.OOPS
That Isn't Rain,
That's swimming the Jeep so deep the tool bag gets wet even in the tool box...
Tool bags don't dry out right away...

Why do you think my 'Jeep Tools' are stuff I've stopped using in the garage or 'Discount Specials'?
Mud, Blood, Sweat, Beer, Tears and Trail Abuse aren't getting anywhere near my good tools!

I started this tread as a lark, I was cleaning out the tool bag since the weather is warming up, and found a bunch of this crap, thought I'd post it up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdowg View Post
Connection Tool...... So thats what that thing is. I have always seem one in the pile of old tools for years. Now I need to figure out were it is?? I never new what that thing was.
Yup. The one shown is a cheap 'Weather Pak' tool,
There are so many connectors and they keep changing, so you have to keep buying the tools when you work on a lot of modern vehicles...

My favorites are little 'Screw Driver' looking tools that say 'Snap-On' on the handle and run about $70, But they aren't getting anywhere near the Jeep...
The $8 version works just fine for 'Field' work!

JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 04:52 AM   #17
nacheswheelin
1960 CJ5 

Great thread
nacheswheelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #18
frankush
2002 WJ 

Hey guys, I think Hammer deserves a big thank you for this thread. I've been an electrician for 30 years and have no problem reading schematics. For those without any electrical training, trying to understand a vehicles electrical system can be daunting. Hammer has taken the time to put together some great drawings that are easy to read. Lots of good pictures of the actual tools needed to make terminations that will last. What he has posted cannot be broken down into an easier to understand version. I'm sure he has a whole lot of man hours in putting this all together, for this post. My hat goes off to the man for taking the time to try and help others out.
frankush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #19
CJuncky
1981 CJ5 

Excellent thread !!!!! Hammer, I enjoy so much reading your threads. I learn so much that I use regularly. I like to fix things myself if I can rather than buy new. I thank you, and look forward to any additional info you post as you have time. Subscribed!!!
80 CJ7 258/auto/d 44 diffs/ 4" lift/rebuild started 80 CJ7 #2 stock(sold)
82 CJ7 stock DD
CJuncky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #20
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankush View Post
Hey guys, I think Hammer deserves a big thank you for this thread. I've been an electrician for 30 years and have no problem reading schematics. For those without any electrical training, trying to understand a vehicles electrical system can be daunting. Hammer has taken the time to put together some great drawings that are easy to read. Lots of good pictures of the actual tools needed to make terminations that will last. What he has posted cannot be broken down into an easier to understand version. I'm sure he has a whole lot of man hours in putting this all together, for this post. My hat goes off to the man for taking the time to try and help others out.

Tremendous work Hammer.
Unread 03-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #21
Guy Smilie

1978 CJ5 

I think I need to find another Radio Shack. The one I've been going to doesn't have the things yours seem to have, or maybe they don't know they have it? Subscribed
Guy Smilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #22
greene86cj
1986 CJ7 

Thank you for taking the time to do this. It will be a huge asset to me.
greene86cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #23
ChiliPepperXJ
2006 WK 

STICKY! You are a champ! This is awesome and will be extremely helpful for many on the forum including myself. It's threads like this and users like you that make this community the best on the web! Thanks!

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo
ChiliPepperXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2012, 11:56 PM   #24
james04si

1977 CJ5 

I'm a bit on the lucky side for finding the tools and connectors locally. I have a fry's electronics less than a mile down the road from me and mouser electronics (www.mouser.com) is about 5 miles and has basically any connector you can think of. Both came in real handy when I made my dash harness and did the headlight relay upgrade. Also as far as putting in an aux fuse box, I found that blue sea makes a much nicer one than the buss brand one. It's defenatly more expensive but I felt my jeep was worth it and since mine was going under the hood the cover keeps the fuses from getting grime and mud in it.
james04si is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2012, 08:40 AM   #25
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

When you guys find LINKS AND SOURCES FOR THIS STUFF, POST THEM UP!

Sources for Factory Crimp (OEM) terminals, sources for tools, ect. PLEASE post them up!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #26
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

Been using theses crimpers for years.Just using this site for a reference not pricing
http://www.specialized.net/Specializ...ype-2211.aspx#
dslywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2012, 11:04 PM   #27
frankush
2002 WJ 

Don't know anything about this company or how they sell their product. Catalog took a while to download, but they seem to have lots of good stuff.

http://www.terminaltools.com/
frankush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2012, 11:27 PM   #28
james04si

1977 CJ5 

here is a link to mousers website specifically for the packer 56 terminals and sockets. basically any socket you could ever think of and connectors in every size to fit whatever gauge wire you want to use.

http://www.mouser.com/Interconnects/...ehb5?P=1yzuuml

Also heres a link to their weather pac connections for anyone that wants to use them

http://www.mouser.com/Interconnects/...ehb5?P=1yzuum8
james04si is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2012, 03:17 AM   #29
WindsorRenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Fantastic write-up J.H! I'm so intimidated by wiring it isn't even funny.
You've made it a pretty simple and friendly

Thanks a bunch! Is this a sticky yet?
Unread 03-12-2012, 04:00 AM   #30
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Just to mention, not every wire and connector you find behind your dash is used. It's easier and cheaper to make a common wiring harness to cover most of the accessories in the jeep then to custom add them.

On late 70 jeeps there are Neutral safety switches (NSS), Back up lamps switch for Automatic transmission and Transmission Kickdown switch. Just the NSS have a jumper installed when not connected to the column. the rest remain unused.

Backup light, NSS, Kickdown connector

Other unused connectors are for the Cigar Lighter. (Power and Ground)

Other unused connector:
I'll get pictures of these later.

Fog lamps

4 Cylinder Tach

Courtesy lights

Dome Light

84 and later Turn signal Flasher socket in fuse box.

4 Cylinder Up shift lamp
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.