Bare steel bumpers, best paint out of these or ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Bare steel bumpers, best paint out of these or ?

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 06-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
drespecki
1983 CJ7 

Bare steel bumpers, best paint out of these or ?

Picked up my new bumpers fabbed up by Jatepper (thanks a bunch, they are great!) and was going to get them powder coated but have spent a ton of money lately and might resort to one of my favorite small parts rattle can paints....

Of the 2, which one would you use or is there a better spray out there?

Ace appliance epoxy with or without primer on bare steel? Love this stuff, tuff as nails!
Or
Rustoleum professional high performance enamel with or without primer on bare steel? Never used it yet, heard it is good..

img_6574-small-.jpg   img_6582-small-.jpg   img_6589-small-.jpg   img_6584-small-.jpg  
Unread 06-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Either one.
Scuff up the surface with scotchbrite and wipe it down with acetone(OUTSIDE)before you paint.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #3
Jack718
1972 CJ5 

I use rustoleum to paint everything. I just painted my bumpers and used bare metal primer and then painted them flat black. They came out great. I never have any problems with rustoleum, it's good stuff if you don't drive a trailer queen.
Jack718 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Use 1 can on the front and the other can on the back and see foryourownself.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
Use 1 can on the front and the other can on the back and see foryourownself.
LG
And then report back on here what you find after a few months/years.

I used Rustoleum Gloss black on mine, no primer or prep on the rear and primered the front... The rear needs to come back off and be sanded down and repainted. Follow the directions on the can - if they say use a primer, do it!

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:33 AM   #6
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure who actually makes the Ace brand, but I've always liked it. Tough paint!

I always use an etching primer on bare steel.
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
james04si

1977 CJ5 

If you have a compressor go get a $15 harbor freight hvlp gun and stop by your local car paint store for some epoxy primer and single stage paint. Much better quality than rustolium and not that much more than a few rattle cans. If you use black you will have plenty extra for painting other random parts. I did mine that way and they still look new 3 years later and expect it to last much longer.
james04si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #8
drespecki
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Not sure who actually makes the Ace brand, but I've always liked it. Tough paint!

I always use an etching primer on bare steel.

Many epoxy type paints say that they can be used right on bare metal, would an etching primer be necessary under the ACE appliance epoxy? Any idea on how it would hold up to UV rays? It does say it is for interior and exterior applications....
Unread 06-26-2013, 10:38 PM   #9
james04si

1977 CJ5 

In general its always better to use primer first. Etching primer or epoxy primer adheres to the bare metal better than paint alone. I choose epoxy primer because i was told it creates a seal around the metal and is even used after etching primer by many as a sealer coat before applying paint. Now honestly if you plan to bang the hell out of it or use it to push things around nothing is going to prevent it from getting chips and or scratches but a couple bucks more for some primer is still a good investment in a piece of mind that it was done right.
james04si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 11:53 PM   #10
jayzcj5
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by james04si
If you have a compressor go get a $15 harbor freight hvlp gun and stop by your local car paint store for some epoxy primer and single stage paint. Much better quality than rustolium and not that much more than a few rattle cans. If you use black you will have plenty extra for painting other random parts. I did mine that way and they still look new 3 years later and expect it to last much longer.
This dudes replies are spot on!
jayzcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #11
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

I'm with pman. I would use a quality etching primer first for a better grab on the new metal. But first wipe it down with lacquer thinner to remove any traces of dirt and oil, even oil from your hands. But at a minumum, like L-grits said, scuff it up then wipe it down. But that's more work. Either way you need to give the paint something to bite on to. Some etching primer has zinc which will help deter corrosion too.
I'm no expert... but I stayed at a Holiday Inn once.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.