Bad to Worse to a Small Fire. Please Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Bad to Worse to a Small Fire. Please Help

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-10-2002, 06:57 PM   #1
NMullens

Bad to Worse to a Small Fire. Please Help

The new gas tank was put on this weekend and the Jeep didnt want to start from that point on. I put about 5 gallons in the new tank, primed the carb with some gas and turned the key. I see a glowing through the "fire" wall and think, "maybe I should stop cranking," walk to the front and there is a 258 Barbecue going on in my CJ. The header was not connected to the exhaust pipe and the end of the header was the center of the flames. Upon extinguishing the flames, some water got into the carb. Now what should I do? There is not a lot of water that made it in but I still didnt want to crank the engine. How do I get it out to avoid hydro-lock or is it enough to worry about?
Thanks for any help.
Nathan

Unread 06-10-2002, 10:48 PM   #2
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

yank your carb and hose carb cleaner through it as you move the linkage to pump any water out of the bowl .After you do this for a half can or so ,take th plugs out of your jeep and turn it over a few times .Reassemble and start it up !
Unread 06-11-2002, 02:38 PM   #3
Boggy Bottom

I wouldn't even go that far. Frankly, I would just take out the plugs, blow some starting fluid into each one, and into the carb. After a few rotations your water will pass through anyway. A '79 CJ should be able to swallow a little water and keep on goin!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.