Bad Juju with fuel pumps...Now I'M having fuel issues - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Bad Juju with fuel pumps...Now I'M having fuel issues

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!

Unread 04-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #31
Gido
1980 CJ7 

Well I dropped the tank this afternoon. While I was working on that I hooked up a line from a 5 gallon gas can directly to the fuel pump and cranked the jeep up and let it run. Ran fine and fuel was pumped into the filter just fine. Not full bit never ran out (Yeeha). After dropping the tank I realized that I had put the seal on after the sending unit (backwards) and the seal was completely destroyed! So, I will pick up a new seal from advance tomorrow and hopefully get it all back together tomorrow night. Before I get it all back together I am gonna blow out the lines and just make sure all is clear. I hope it works. The weather in tallahassee has been so awesome it's killing me to not be driving the jeep or fishing.

in memory of Jimmy Smith - a wise man
Gido is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #32
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gido View Post
Well I dropped the tank this afternoon. While I was working on that I hooked up a line from a 5 gallon gas can directly to the fuel pump and cranked the jeep up and let it run. Ran fine and fuel was pumped into the filter just fine. Not full bit never ran out (Yeeha). After dropping the tank I realized that I had put the seal on after the sending unit (backwards) and the seal was completely destroyed! So, I will pick up a new seal from advance tomorrow and hopefully get it all back together tomorrow night. Before I get it all back together I am gonna blow out the lines and just make sure all is clear. I hope it works. The weather in tallahassee has been so awesome it's killing me to not be driving the jeep or fishing.
I understand Olustee is burning, and the muck smoke is kicking our tails! Enjoy your wonderful weather!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #33
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for updating, Gido. So now that makes two of us with priming problems due to an O-Ring issue!

Skerr- Something was on fire here in Charleston today too, but apparently the wind changed or it was put out, as the smoke is now gone.

P.S. I grew up in the Okefenokee Swamp. My Dad's still there. Some major fire action there last year!
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #34
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Thanks for updating, Gido. So now that makes two of us with priming problems due to an O-Ring issue!

Skerr- Something was on fire here in Charleston today too, but apparently the wind changed or it was put out, as the smoke is now gone.

P.S. I grew up in the Okefenokee Swamp. My Dad's still there. Some major fire action there last year!
If you came from the Okefenokee, what on earth are you doing in Charleston?? 35,000 acres have burned, so far, in Olustee, which was the largest Civil War battle fought in Florida, and one of the most important Confederate victories. Sorry for the history blurb!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 04-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #35
geneapodaca
1978 CJ7 

Back to the fuel issue, I was dealing with the same kind of thing. Both times, after stalling, I would check the lines with air and they seemed perfectly clear. I lowered the front of the gas tank and replaced the pickup hose from the sender to the hard line. The original hose looked perfect until I applied a little suction to it and it collapsed. Many months later, I had a similar problem where it would begin to sputter after several mile son the freeway. There was the tiniest bit of a kink in the new hose right where it hooked up to the hard line that collapsed under suction again. I'm on my third hose in the same area now. Hopefully this one will hold up.

By the way, I use two pumps. I have a frame mounted electric pump feeding the mechanical pump, so the suction is a little higher and more constant perhaps.
geneapodaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #36
poolman5150
1980 CJ5 

I had this problem recently. I had recently put in a new gas tank, replaced some of the fuel line, and replaced the filter. I had the same symptoms. Throughout the next year the jeep ran great, but would sometime just shut down while driving. I would pull off the road, crank it until it started and it would be fine again. After about a year it died all together. Finally found that the carb was not getting fuel. Since everything else was fairly new, I replaced the fuel pump and TAA DAA. It runs great. It was hard to problem solve while it was a part time problem, but I think the mechanics in the fuel pump were slowly going. You say you have the 304. Mine has the 258 and the fuel pump is right under the hood in the side of the block. Where is it on the 304? Take the fuel line off before the fuel filter and crank starter with fuel line in a jar. You should see a good amount of fuel pump into it. If not, consider a new pump. Mine was only twenty bucks at advanced auto.
poolman5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 07:06 PM   #37
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
If you came from the Okefenokee, what on earth are you doing in Charleston?? 35,000 acres have burned, so far, in Olustee, which was the largest Civil War battle fought in Florida, and one of the most important Confederate victories. Sorry for the history blurb!
Skerr that's alot of acreage already! Wow. I like the history blurb; I need to read up on that one. My wife would have never married me if I was still in the swamp

genea/poolman- glad y'all got your fuel issues resolved. Good stuff to know!
Unread 04-15-2012, 08:18 AM   #38
Gido
1980 CJ7 

Fellas, finished up reinstalling the sending unit gasket. Good news is that the filter I installed between the pump and carb never ran out of fuel like before but it never was full and the pump appeared to be intermittent. But the worse part is the engine after running for about twenty minutes all of a sudden died. Just stopped. Didnt sputter or skip or hop just died and wouldn't start back up. I checked the coil wire on both ends to make sure it was on good and it fired right up like nothing was wrong. I have replaced all the ingnition parts recently. Cap, rotor, ICM, coil, wires, plugs. So do y'all think it is carb related? The engine was run with some old nasty rusty fuel before the tank and pump and filters were replaced. It was also sitting for a long time before. I'm stumped!

Unread 04-15-2012, 08:23 AM   #39
Captainak
1982 CJ7 

Shop vac on BLOW...... Or air lime to gas fill inlet with as tight of seal a possible..... Turn engine over till it starts...... Did it last year that way
Captainak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 08:29 AM   #40
Gido
1980 CJ7 

Not quite understanding! Am I trying to help prime the system? Blow air into the tank from the fuel cap? Simpleton here.

Unread 04-15-2012, 08:41 AM   #41
Gido
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gido
Not quite understanding! Am I trying to help prime the system? Blow air into the tank from the fuel cap? Simpleton here.

I think I figured that response out. Will give it a shot.

Unread 04-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #42
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Gido, are you seeing fuel squirt into the carb? I'd verify whether or not you are getting fuel up top before you do anything else.
Unread 04-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #43
Gido
1980 CJ7 

I have not looked in the carb while it is being cranked or while it is running. I think I am going to attempt a rebuild on the carb. I went through several filters in a very short amount of time before I replaced the tank. Along with that the engine sat for about 8 years and was only ran every once in a while so, the carb has to have crap built up in it. What do ya'll think? Here is a pic of the fuel level in the filter.
image-1907420509.jpg  

Unread 04-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #44
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I don't think the filter is supposed to be full. That's what it looks like on my galf cart, and it has never been an issue, although I had the same concern/thought that you apparently have. I am wondering if you didn't get an air bubble in the fuel line when you disconnected everything? The bubble interrupted the fuel delivery. Now it is caught up again. I also think it would be a good maintenance move to improve the carb based on your post. Don't you have a 2100?

Unread 04-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #45
Gido
1980 CJ7 

I sure do or so I believe. Pics below.
image-1452610979.jpg   image-2531677557.jpg   image-1599561142.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.