Bad battery or parasitic draw? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Bad battery or parasitic draw?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 08-24-2014, 08:21 PM   #1
bradyw
1973 CJ5 

Bad battery or parasitic draw?

An anyone help me diagnose my cj? Not every morning, but frequently jeep has a dead battery. I've ruled out the charging system. It is working fine. 13.75 volts at idle.

Battery is about 3 y/o. It takes a charge, at least initially. I'm not sure how to test if the battery is bad and losing its charge, or if I have a parasitic draw taking juice from a good battery.

One more tidbit. The battery can go dead with no warning. It did this while sitting 15 min at Walmart.

1973 CJ 5, 232, T-18

bradyw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2014, 10:20 PM   #2
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Charge the battery. Then leave it disconnected for 24-36 hrs.
Does it start?
LG
Unread 08-24-2014, 10:47 PM   #3
Requiem4aCJ
1984 CJ7 

Have you tried cleaning the battery terminals and ground wires? It costs nothing and can make a huge difference to your charging system.
Requiem4aCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 05:32 AM   #4
grasmo
1982 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyw View Post
The battery can go dead with no warning. It did this while sitting 15 min at Walmart.

1973 CJ 5, 232, T-18
that would be one hell of a parasite. sounds like a battery issue.
grasmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 05:35 AM   #5
rklaahsen
1980 CJ5 

Use an ohm/amp meter to measure the draw on your battery with the key in the off position with the stereo disconnected. If it is negligible you can rule out the wiring. Then you just have to figure if the problem is battery or alternator related. Good luck if it is the electrical harness. It took me a few tries to find the ground that was draining my battery was in my ignition harness inside the steering column.

BUDD Club San Diego (http:\\www.buddclub.com)
rklaahsen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 06:43 AM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

A loose or polished up fan belt can cause those symptoms, same as a dirty end on one of the battery cables. (Don't forget cables have 2 ends.)

I test the belt by taking a cold off engine and seeing if I can hand slip the pulley. If I can, it will slip under load and cause your symptoms. If the belt is tight and still slips, then it can be polished up. I used to polish up 2 or 3 a season when I played in the mud pits. Mud=liquid sandpaper.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 07:54 AM   #7
shadoow
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem4aCJ View Post
Have you tried cleaning the battery terminals and ground wires? It costs nothing and can make a huge difference to your charging system.
this.....years ago i stopped for gas & when i tried to start the car nothing happened. Turned out to be a connection. Check both ends of your battery connections, clean, tighten, etc.
shadoow is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 09:13 AM   #8
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyw View Post
An anyone help me diagnose my cj? Not every morning, but frequently jeep has a dead battery. I've ruled out the charging system. It is working fine. 13.75 volts at idle.

Battery is about 3 y/o. It takes a charge, at least initially. I'm not sure how to test if the battery is bad and losing its charge, or if I have a parasitic draw taking juice from a good battery.

One more tidbit. The battery can go dead with no warning. It did this while sitting 15 min at Walmart.

1973 CJ 5, 232, T-18
If it croaked in 15 minutes, then it's not the battery unless you have a broken bridge between cells in the battery.

This is common with the 'Six Pack' or 'AGM' batteries...
Works once, then 5 minutes later (When the bridges between cylinders have vibrated apart) the thing won't start,
Then it will start again the next 5 times, then won't start again...

Batteries have fairly large bridges connecting the cells together to make your 12+ volts, but more importantly,
Connecting cells makes AMPERAGE, which turns the starter.

When bridges crack, they CAN conduct Voltage, but will not conduct AMPERAGE, which is the cranking power needed for things like the starter.

You will ONLY find this issue with a full on load tester when the thing won't start...

--------------

This could be an issue with battery to cable connections.
When you 'Jump Start', you connect to the OUTSIDE of the battery connector terminals, and you CAN have an issue with the INSIDE of the connection, between terminal and battery post.

If 'Jiggling' the connectors works to start the engine, then you have a connection problem,
Time for reasonable terminals or new cables entirely.

-------------

Knowing what you do to get it started again would help diagnose the issue.
If you tinker with cables, tap on the starter relay, ect.

What noises does it make when it won't start? Do you hear the starter relay 'Hitting' but the starter not turning?
Or doesn't the starter relay 'Hit' at all?
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 11:53 AM   #9
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

most good battery shops can do a load test on your battery.

I had one years ago that would go dead after a few days.

guy did the load test and showed me inside one of the cells was a small stream of bubbles coming up from the bottom of the battery.

he said that cell was bad.

new battery and all was well with the world.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 11:31 PM   #10
bradyw
1973 CJ5 

Jeephammer,

You describe what's happening exactly. Works fine, no slow starting or dim lights to show a low battery and then poof. No juice at all everything's dead. Checked all the cables and connections and they're good. Originally thought it was a charging problem and I found some loose connections on the alternator. I replaced them, but it didn't fix the problem.

I disconnected the battery last night to see if it would go dead out of the CJ. When I connected my charger to the battery my charger said the battery is no good. That was a first. I've charged it several times and not gotten that message before.

After work today, I bought a new battery. We'll see if that solves the problem. I'll let you all know. Cross your fingers.

Thanks

1973 CJ 5, 232, T-18
Unread 08-26-2014, 05:58 PM   #11
captkhaos
1980 CJ7 

I know this is a bit off topic but I've replaced a few batteries in 30 years of ownership and never really found a battery that fit just right. Sometimes it seems that because of the cable position the battery has to be put in facing backwards. No big deal but the label is hidden and the terminals are near the back (firewall). The last time I needed a battery I went to Advance Auto and sure enough the proper battery listed for the CJ had the terminals reversed. It would have to be installed "backwards". They had a great (online only) sale with 25% off for a 36 month free replacement battery which was $80 instead of the usual $110. I picked out a battery at the store based on length, width, height, terminal position, etc. and discovered the perfect battery was a Group 24F. Again, the sale price was online only (but with "in store" pick up). Advance Auto online requires you to specify a vehicle though before you can order. It turns out that a Group 24F fits a '98 Toyota Camry. I added the Camry to my "garage", found the battery for it, paid with my credit card, went to the store and picked up the battery and saved 30 bucks. The funny thing was that the day before I was convinced my battery was fine but my starter was shot. I looked at my records and found that I had bought the starter 22 years earlier in 1992 from Discount Auto (Advance Auto's prior name) and it had a "lifetime warranty". I still had the receipt. They gave me a new starter for free and told me to keep the old receipt in case it ever failed again. It turned out to be the battery.
captkhaos is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 09:08 PM   #12
bradyw
1973 CJ5 

Drove to work today and back with the lights, wipers, and radio on. No problems so far.

1973 CJ 5, 232, T-18
Unread 08-26-2014, 09:14 PM   #13
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Leave the battery hooked up.
See what ya got in the am.
LG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.